Random Questions

Yes. He’s out of the hospital.

I just watched a CNN report. It shows the gorilla standing over the boy in the corner of the pen and then pulling him through the water. Didn’t see any bashing of any kind, though.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gorilla-shot-cincinnati-zoo-killed-boy-intervention-expert/story?id=39478421

Sounds like Hanna was describing what the gorilla has done with a coconut in the past, as an explanation that the gorilla could easily injure the child. Other reposts have said that the crowd was getting older and it was agitating the gorilla, which was one off the reasons they decided to use a rifle instead of a tranquilizer gun- adding that if the gorilla was agitated it could take longer for the tranquilizer to work.

Ack autocorrect-- the crowd was getting louder (though maybe older too, LOL)

Stepping back, my son’s former long term g/f brought up the topic of asking for her FA’s permission. My son said if it was Important to her, he would have gone along.

Jack Hanna is an absolute moron. You’re dealing with animal life vs animal life here. One animal decided to go against all logic, even the logic of a four year old, and run into a gorilla enclosure. The other animal saw the illogical animal drowning and decided to bring him into shallow water and stand him up. Other surrounding animals decided to scream and yell, agitating the situation, and the good animal decided to shield the illogical animal from the hysteria. As a result, the good animal, which is one of around 100,000 in the entire world was killed. Illogical animal which is one of 8,000,000,000 was saved with no apology from his mother. No good deed goes unpunished.

@CaliCash -
So you’d rather have seen the 4-year-old killed because there are 7,999,999,999 more of them in the world? You don’t see any difference between an ape and a human? I’m not sure who’s the moron here.

Granted, the child made a big mistake and the mother may also be at fault for not restraining him. I read that she was dealing with several other kids at the same time so I can understand how she may have lost control of the situation. But when it comes down to a choice between the gorilla’s life and the human life, there really is no choice. They did what they had to do to ensure the boy’s safety.

It was a difficult decision all around and I’m sure the handlers and administrators at the zoo aren’t sleeping easy about the choice but Jack Hanna is 100% correct. Imagine if they tranquilized the gorilla and then something horrible happened to that child. Imagine standing there and watching that child die in from of a crowd and living with that child’s death on your conscience. No easy decision here. I agree with a post above that it sounds like the design of the enclosure could have been better and that the parents could have been more watchful or raised a more obedient child. Regardless, the zoo staff made the correct decision given the difficult circumstances and the very short window of time. Still a sad situation.

Imagine if the zoo had used a tranquilizer gun and the gorilla fell on top of the child and he drowned before the first responders could pull the gorilla off. I’d be willing to bet they ran through these scenarios before making a difficult decision.

“Imagine if they tranquilized the gorilla and then something horrible happened to that child.”—> Then it’s on the mom.

“So you’d rather have seen the 4-year-old killed because there are 7,999,999,999 more of them in the world? You don’t see any difference between an ape and a human?” —> I would rather no child get killed. However in this situation, the child made a choice and so did the mother. Stop making excuses for her. A tranquilizer would’ve been the appropriate measure to take. If something tragic happens in the time it takes for it to work, that’s on the mother and child. When it comes down to a critically endangered species and a species that has over 8 billion of it’s kind, I’m going with the critically endangered one. Cold as it may seem, a four year old has no obligations, no dependents. It would be collateral damage to protect a majestic animal that has more value. After all, it’t not as though the gorilla chose to be there. The only innocent party in this tragic situation is the one that was killed.

This all could’ve been avoided. It’s a truly devastating situation and the mother should pay a stiff penalty for her shortcomings.

^Dislike.

SMH [-(

Get back to us when you have a four year old.

It’s awful but kids do get away from you sometimes. It’s very sad that the gorilla died but I wouldn’t blame the gorilla, or the zoo, or the kid, or even the Mom. Sometimes it’s just a bad situation but if I had to blame anyone or anything I’d blame the enclosure design for not being secure enough and just the fact that we have zoos, and especially have intelligent primates in zoos. I don’t think intelligent primates deserve to be gawked at in zoos.

It may just be me, but I think what this raises, again, is that when we feel strongly, emotionally, about an issue, it’s important to do the right vetting, become more informed, process, before making pronouncements.

Are you allowed to take a lap top in a checked bag? I need it at my destination but don’t want to have to carry it there.

Yes, you can, however I personally would be reluctant to put something expensive/fragile in checked luggage. Checked luggage has a tendency to go “missing” at times.

I would never check a laptop.

NEVER check a laptop. I promise you, they will confiscate your bag and search through it. And you will not get it after you land. It happened to me. Through the scanners, laptops look like weapons considering they are almost never checked.