Random Questions

He is gathering those up as we speak. :+1: Also checking into Spain regulations.

2 Likes

Seems pretty comprehensive. Some airlines require a death certificate and /or a certificate from the crematorium. Definitely recommend checking with the foreign country requirements as well.

1 Like

In addition to entry requirements, I believe some countries have regulations and restrictions on where ashes can be dispersed.

2 Likes

Apparently there are plenty of restrictions to consider and permissions needed on both public and private property - perhaps just taking a small amount might be best.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! We bought a container from Amazon and it arrived yesterday. DH was able to get the required paperwork and I sent him the links to the regulations regarding the scattering of ashes.

9 Likes

Glad a solution was found. When I had my mother cremated in summer 2020 (Covid), there was no option for the funeral home to make money on funeral services. So I was surprised and pleased when they suggested their cheapest ($25?) plastic urn because good for air travel.

2 Likes

Probably a dumb question, but here goes.

Say you are firmly in the 22% Federal Tax bracket as joint return. If you just look at your salary and were to file as single, you’d be a little bit into the 24% bracket.

Your employer gives you a 5% raise - which does not push you into a higher bracket. Shouldn’t the amount taken out for Federal Taxes (only - not including SS, medicare, state) go up 22% of that 5% differential? So if I got a $100 raise per pay period, they should take out an additional $22 for federal taxes per pay period?

I ask because my employer only took out 10-11%. It’s nice to have the extra $$$ now, but it will add up quickly… I’m already anticipating paying a fair amount next April and am doing quarterly payments.

Your withholding is not based on just the incremental federal tax rate, it also depends on how many exemptions you have claimed and whether you claimed you are single or married.

If you don’t want to owe taxes next April, for a new W4 to adjust your withholding. If you are only salaried there’s no reason you should have to pay estimated taxes.

1 Like

In some situations you have to. Bonuses and other supplemental income are often taxed at a flat percentage rate that may be lower than the rate you pay on your regular income. My firm, for example, does this. And I have to therefore pay large amounts of estimated taxes every quarter to avoid penalties and a super large payment at tax filing time.

1 Like

I know the total amount that is true, but shouldn’t all of the exemptions be taken care of in the initial salary? The overall percentage (fed tax/salary) went down after the raise. It should go up, no? All of the raise should be taxed at the highest bracket because all of the lower bracket income was taken into account before.

Yes. H got $400/month from tutoring and the school system took out $0 in federal taxes. Plus we had a lot of bonds mature (not tax deductible) and have to pay on those.

1 Like

Did you perhaps increase your contributions to a 401k plan? That would lead to lower taxable income.

If not, then you may want to ask your accounting department to explain their withholding methodology.

Nope. I changed nothing. Everyone got a pay increase based on years of service. Definitely no complaints there!

1 Like

I thought that paying estimated taxes is simply for your convenience, so you don’t have to pay a big lump sum. Since you don’t actually owe those taxes until the followng April 15, you wouldn’t owe any penalties.

No, in fact you do owe taxes throughout the year. It’s a “pay as you go” system (and this requirement is normally satisfied by your employer withholding taxes from each paycheck).

Federal tax law requires you to pay 90% of your estimated current year taxes* by year-end (although you have time until Jan 15th of the following year to make that last payment). If you underpay, you’re subject to penalties and interest. I learnt this the hard way many years ago :slightly_frowning_face:

(* - or 100% or 110% of your previous year’s bill, depending on your AGI. And this rule is waived if your total tax bill is $1,000 or less)

2 Likes

Can’t you request your company to withhold an additional amount on the bonus?

If your bonus is fairly consistent from year to year you could adjust your withholding on your salary to account for it.

Without knowing all the gory details of your situation, it’s almost impossible to say definitively.

What is the percentage of your original pay that was withheld for federal taxes? Was it higher than 11%?

If you have claimed too many exemptions it could push your withholding down to that level.

You probably need to talk to your HR department to figure it out.

If you’re suddenly getting a huge amount more, check the IRS safe harbor rules to see if you have enough withheld. It’s based on what you normally make and keeps you from being penalized if you suddenly have a substantial bump in income.

It’s honestly beyond me and H so we have the cpa do it all and he keeps us out of trouble and not having to pay penalties or interest.

Thanks. I will talk to them. Yes, it was originally higher than 11% and I claim 0 exemptions.

A friend has received 2 facetime calls from “me” that I did not initiate. So far nobody else has complained to me, and she has not received other fake facetimes. Is the scam problem likely on my account or hers? (Not sure how this could be an issue, but we were both recently on a group facetime with somebody that does facetime on an ipad via email address, not cell#)