Random Questions

What kind of topping do you prefer on fish tacos? Vinegar-y cabbage or creamy? I’ve never had them but want to try to make them here at home.

I like a vinegar based slaw type. Though I never turn down a cilantro crema to drizzle on top.

1 Like

No specific recommendations but if you have thicker dishes make sure they fit in the space allowed ok.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of Miele. It is a bit pricier than Whirlpool but does a great job for us. Super quiet! That said, we recently helped install a Whirlpool D/W at a friend’s house, and they seem to like it. Bought the thing from Costco.

This is a perpetual dilemma… recommendations from people who are happy with their appliances’ longevity are not very useful because those appliances models are no longer produced, and owners of newer ones can’t speak to their appliances’ longevity.

5 Likes

Good point. I guess if you bought one recently and you turned out to not like it, though, that could be good to know.

2 Likes

Agree.

This topic probably warrants a new thread on dishwashers so the broader CC community can chime in. Plus, who doesn’t like an appliance thread? :wink:

1 Like

For me it depends on how the fish you are using is prepared. I use grilled fish, then top with a cabbage and jicama slaw, then topped with a mango salsa.

We purchased a Bosch dishwasher a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. It does a great job, and it’s pretty silent when it runs (our favorite feature).

1 Like

Sometimes I think the best way to choose an appliance is to go to the appliance store of your preference, see what they have that is the right size/style/price range for your kitchen, write down the model info and THEN go home and research the reviews for that particular appliance.

I’d rather see what’s available in person - not hunt down a particular model/make. But that’s me!

3 Likes

We purchased a Bosch dishwasher when we remodeled our kitchen in 2007. We’ve had zero issues with it (knock on wood) and as mentioned by DadOfJerseyGirl, it is relatively quiet.

The only thing I would point out is Bosch models may not have a food disposal type feature. I say ”may” because I don’t know if it’s true for all models. All I remember is that when we installed ours they were careful to explain how to rinse the food catch thingie in the bottom of the dishwasher occasionally…we very rarely need to, btw. We’re careful to scrape food off dishes so we don’t get food in the “food catch thing”.

1 Like

I’m happy to hear it’s lasted this long!

I guess the big improvement over the past decade has been that it has gone from “relatively quiet” to “almost totally silent”. As in, you don’t know it’s running unless you’re standing right by it or you have badly placed dishes that are being jostled around.

3 Likes

I think Bosch and Miele do not include food grinders. Minimizes the noise and moving parts. The filter screen is very easy to rinse. Takes only a minute. No issues with food particles because the jets pulverize everything!

2 Likes

We have had a Miele for about 12 years using it daily and love it.

That being said, we just put a Bosch in a new 2nd home (no Miele service coverage in that area). It has a little red light that shines on the floor when it is running. It is so quiet, the little light is needed. Love that feature! Also has an extra long heat/dry option which is great if I run when we go to bed, I know the dishes will be dry in the am.

5 Likes

My 2007 model has the red light. I agree. It’s a great feature and I love it too!!

We have a Jenn Air, which is basically the same as KitchenAid. It has a stainless steel tub, which I prefer.

No problems in 5 years, it’s not absolutely quiet like a Bosch or Miele, but it’s pretty quiet and was half the price.

Thanks for all the tips. I’m not too worried about the noise. We usually run it at night after we’ve gone to bed and it’s not close to our bedrooms. Our current dishwasher leaves a lot of stuck on crumbs and has a little leak so pretty much anything will be an improvement!

Our GE profile has been great.

1 Like

We have a new kitchenaid. Replaced a kitchenaid that lasted 21 years. Control panel went out, plumber said part not available plus giid luck trying to find someone to actually install it.

1 Like

Return the shirt

We have a Kitchenaid dishwasher that is about 1.5 years old. We love it. It cleans well, is quiet and everything works the way it’s supposed to. It replaced a 7 yr old Electrolux that was just awful. We had lots of problems with the controls not working correctly, had it repaired twice, and finally it just refused to run at all. Rather than try and fix it again we decided to stop fighting it and replace it. We couldn’t be happier that we did that.

Agree with looking to see what’s in stock and research those rather than research and then look. Most appliance stores seem to list what’s in stock on their websites. We did all our research before going to the store. Then just walked in and told them what we wanted.

1 Like