Random Questions

nope.

I had this issue as well. But I also have issues with my ears hurting in a similar place when I wear masks for a long period of time so I’m thinking it’s the shape of my ear. I received an email that’s shokz now has “ear buds” along with the headset version. I’m tempted to try again.

Yeah, I think I’m just weird. But it would be nice to try on before buying.
Amazon Prime days is July 11-12–anyone wanting headphones should maybe check next week to see if there is a price drop.

3 Likes

Have any of you or your friends/family done a trans-Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary2?

1 Like

No but my aunt did on the original Queen Mary.

2 Likes

I have the water version (best thing ever - I no longer have to sing “a hundred bottles of beer on the wall” while swimming laps) and the regular version.

I like that I can still hear traffic when I’m walking, and I find the buttons are easy for pausing or advancing a song. I don’t like that they’re not as comfortable to wear when I’m wearing both sunglasses and a baseball hat.

1 Like

Thanks–I’ll be sure to wear a ballcap and sunglasses when trying them on at Best Buy.

What’s a good website to due a quick/easy check on car value? Like the old Kelley Blue Book lookup, back in the day of paper copies.

I’m just doing a curiosity check on my old Odyssey. So far the sites I’ve found want me to enter my VIN or license plate (and email)…. and they seem geared toward purchasing the car .

We just used Carmax to get an estimate for younger S. We put in the zip code where we were looking to sell it and the VIN number, but no contact information was required => nobody called or harassed us!

Our personal property tax also lists a value for the car. I don’t know how accurate it is. I think ours was lower than what Carmax said.

Edit - the VIN number was easy to get because it’s listed on my DMV account. The whole process took about 10 minutes.

I can easily find my VIN#. My husband and I just don’t feel comfortable providing it online. (It’s really not critical that I know the value. Just curious because the CO law until recently treated under $2k car theft as a misdemeanor, in a lot of articles.) Maybe we are being too cautious (?)

Maybe, or I’m being not cautious enough. At least in our case, he will be selling or trading it in in the next month or so.

They’re online since the early 2000s …

You don’t need to provide your VIN or your contact details.

2 Likes

Thanks - That’s what I needed.

@ClassicMom98 - If I were actually selling the car, it would not bother me to enter VIN.

1 Like

For trade value, we use KBB ICO (Instant Cash Offer) and NADA. You need to be brutally honest about the condition of your vehicle for the most accurate results.

For retail sales price, I think NADA is the best.

In the end, while a dealership will use these as guides, they do not always reflect the local market. KBB might say your trade is worth $15000, but if a couple versions of your year and model, around the same miles, are selling for $15500 and $16000 at competitors in town… you’re not getting $15000; you’re getting probably about $12-13k. Dealers put money into detail, inspection, reconditioning – which can be expensive depending on what the car needs – and they pay “pack” to the owner/HQ. After all that cost is added to the vehicle, which can be a couple grand, they then need to add a little more to come to a retail price that allows them to make some money. That is why trade values on common vehicles are typically $3-5k less than retail prices.

2 Likes

I wonder what they used to determine valule in CO when the under-$2K thefts were misdemeanor (before law changed in attempt to decrease auto thefts). I got curious on the topic because I drive a 2006 Odyssey, almost 100K miles. Had considered posting a FB comment about “are there really many under-$2K cars still on the road?” … then though about my own car. Turns out mine is probably still a bit over that clip level, but not by much.

I imagine personal property tax? If the city/state considers my vehicle to be worth XXX for taxes, I suppose that’s what they would consider to be the value.

I was curious and looked up ours. We have 1 < $2000 and 2 in the $3500-6000 range, and H’s ‘21 Crosstrek. S’ car was in line with the Kelly Blue book number for the value that I just looked up using the above link. It was on the lower end of the private sale, but still in the range.

Check AutoTraders to see what comparable cars are going for too, especially if you are planning to do a private sale. Most are going well over KBB value. My husband got a steal on a used car last year when the market was through the roof because the seller priced it at KBB value ($6100) when it could have easily gone for twice that.

I also use all these car site in a private or incognito window so I’m not inundated with car ads.

Edmunds is another site that will give you an estimate, but they do ask for the VIN or license.

Try a public library?

1 Like

New topic: what is the most effective pesticide to get rid of Japanese beetles from rose bushes and apple trees?

I’ve tried a couple of different brands but they don’t seem to be very effective. The beetles are back within days, and it’s really frustrating.

Japanese beetle traps?