Random Questions

I have 2 instagram accounts- one personal (I started in 2016 when we retired) and documents our travels. And one more outdoorsy public one. On the public one I love that I can follow people from all over the world and that there are people from other countries that follow me with similar interests. It’s really fascinating.

True that the millennials have embraced this and I do have Ds’ and their friends following me and vice versa. Some follow the personal one and some the public one.

4 Likes

I follow a lot of food people on Instagram. I also get posts popping up in my feed that are similar to things I’ve looked at. I’ve found lots of healthy recipes that way. I also follow local restaurants. I also get alot of baby food recipes that I’ve made for my grandchildren. Also lots of updated info on baby and toddler information that has been helpful. Best of all is I follow alot of young adults and I get to see their new families.

4 Likes

@1214mom thanks for the heads up. I just looked at the ones REI is selling but they are the joggers. Those are the updated style that Athleta still sells. Unfortunately the ones that I have appear to be discontinued. They are not joggers and more like pants - no band on the bottom of the leg.

1 Like

Do you know anybody using Uber via telephone (not smartphone)? Wondering if this would be an options for elderly parents.

screenshot

(Dad has a jitterbug smartphone because that’s just about all you can get. But at age 96, learning new tricks is harder…. he only uses phone function. Home phone is a triple-play landline)

We’re in a similar situation with MIL. I’ve received a couple recommendations to get https://gogograndparent.com/ for her. I haven’t dug into it too far yet, but it’s a fee based service to help the elderly with arranging Ubers, grocery, meal & drug delivery, etc with just a phone call to one central location. They can also send alerts to family members so you’re aware of what is being arranged.

5 Likes

Interesting…matrix of plan options

1 Like

This gogograndparent looks amazing! I wondered how the reviews/service are?

I’m worried so much about my parents driving to get prescription meds, going to doctor’s appointments, etc. when they were in their late 80s while I was working. This would have been a game-changer!

This market (aging loved ones) has such a need!

Thanks for raising it, Colorado_mom!

1 Like

My friend used gogograndparent for her mom in the time between when they got her to stop driving and before she agreed to move to a CCRC. They liked the service and felt it was worth the peace of mind.

1 Like

sigh… some bad reviews on GoGo-Grndparent
https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/san-francisco/profile/senior-services/gogo-grandparent-1116-923847/complaints

AARP could really do a good thing compiling this kind of service, as a trusted provider.

1 Like

Boo! Sounds like they really went downhill. My friend’s mom only used it for a few years, shortly after the company started and mostly had positive experiences.

Only unhappy people report at BBB. It is possible that there are regional differences, some places having decent service from GoGo-grandparent. I will be keeping an ear out for success stories in upstate NY near parents.

My friend and her mom live in LA and were pretty satisfied with the service back when they used it.

1 Like

I tried messaging an admin (maybe a former admin?) a few days ago and no reply, so thought I should ask here about the persistent pop-up ads that often cover up to a quarter of the bottom of the screen. After having to loosen my privacy settings in order to sign into another site, I tightened them again today to disallow pop-up ads. That did not help. Earlier today I had to abandon my attempt to sign in because the password space was covered by the annoying ad. FWIW, I use Chrome. Suggestions please?

I’m having the same problem and just posted yesterday on the community issues subforum.

1 Like

I hope someone pays attention to your post and finds a way to resolve the problem. Several times I’ve just given up in frustration after shutting down ad after ad.

1 Like

I use an ad blocking browser my phone and never have any of these issues.

1 Like

Same on my iPad. Rarely if ever have pop up ads.

I’m inheriting some very nice wicker sunroom furniture with a house purchase. I’ll give the wicker a refresh (I’ve done this before) but the cushions really need replacing - they are structurally sound but extremely faded - and also ugly. :slight_smile: I could try and get them recovered - but not sure if I can find someone to do that and don’t know if in the long run it would be cheaper.

I’ll try and post a pic later but the couch is a full couch size - 3 cushions to sit on, 3 backs. Their is a single chair (1 seat cushion, 1 back) and a rocker (1 seat cushion, 1 back). There is also a covered ottoman that I could probably recover myself (no sewing) in a coordinating fabric IF I found cushions to purchase.

I don’t want to spend several hundred dollars! Anyone have any suggestions - especially since it’s getting towards end of season and things might be on sale???

I’ve had luck with the Pillow Perfect brand for our porch furniture and have seen a few of the fabrics they use on various online fabric stores. Prices are often best on Amazon, but this year I found better deals on Target.

1 Like

I got some nice outdoor furniture cushions at Lowe’s on sale. Might be worth a look.

1 Like