Random Questions

We sometimes use “schoolboy” cookies or similar-. packaged shortbread cookies with one side covered in chocolate, instead of graham crackers and chocolate bars.

1 Like

Love schoolboys. Interesting idea.

For those who want an easy low-end s’more for camping, I recall we sometimes made them with chocolate chip cookies and marshmallows. Not the same of course, but still yummy (especially for hubby that only likes chocolate in small doses)

Compression socks for overseas flights - Yes or No?

1 Like

Yes, did you not watch the last season of Succession? :grin:

Edit to add I’ve been very happy with Sockwell; wear them around the house sometimes when my ankles/feet ache. Shop affordable & comfortable Our Graduated Compression Socks for Men & Women socks today | Sockwell

2 Likes

Oh… no…. I don’t think Succession is on any of our (many, too many) streaming service. (We did watch This is US, and as I shop for a new crockpot I’ve been avoiding the thrift shop ones :wink:

My husband has compression socks that he will wear. Got me thinking about getting some.

2 Likes

Compression socks on international flights was a (humorous) motif in the show.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of compression socks. I try to get up and go to the bathroom about every 2 hours and can exercise quietly in my seat if I can’t sleep.

3 Likes

Put this in the category of Stupid Questions.

I have a cell phone plan with unlimited calling and texts. I also have a HUGE amount of data that I can use. Here’s the stupid question: What activities “count” toward data? Is it listening to podcasts? Listening to Sirius Radio, which I do on my phone? Listening to Spotify?

Sorry; I’m a boomer, and I don’t understand these things.

I wear compression socks on long flights. For me it makes a huge difference in swelling. Mine are also Sockwell which I first learned about here on CC. I also have a pair of the solid black nylon ones they sell at the drugstore but prefer the Sockwell. I also have a couple pairs of compression no show socks that I wear on longer walks and hikes when traveling or camping. One pair is also Sockwell and the other pair are CEP.

1 Like

Depends on whether you use Wi-Fi when available. I have my podcasts set to only download when I’m on WiFi, then listen to the downloaded versions - so no data used there. Using a map app to navigate when driving - that uses data. Doing basically anything online when not on WiFi - uses data. Using a hotspot when your home internet goes out - uses data. On an iPhone you can look at settings/ cellular to see what’s using data. I’m guessing non-iPhones have something similar.

1 Like

Not a stupid question. Everything uses data, but generally it is video/movies that is the real data hog.

1 Like

So basically anything that isn’t a text or a call?

IF you’re not on WiFi and you’re accessing the internet, then yes. If you’re doing something that’s strictly on your phone (making notes, playing a game that’s not online, etc) then no.

If you have a plan with a large but fixed amount of data, you might want to price out C unlimited data plan. That can be cheaper than the old plans with a fixed amount of data.

We love unlimited voice & data. It’s very freeing. We have a retired 55+ T-Mobile plan and can even add one more line for $35!

1 Like

Yes, if you are using your cell provider connection (cellular access), not wifi. But most of us (at least those of us without unlimited data) try to make sure the phone uses wifi when at home.

1 Like

Back on compression socks - the sockwell look nice, but $30. I was hoping I’d find some at the sale at our AAA store (no longer will be carrying merchandise), but my size was gone. On past flights I’ve not had any problems with swelling, but I’m 5 years older now than last trip - not sure if age is a factor (?)

Compression sleeves are much easier for me and do the same job. CEP is my to go brand. Can be used for running, too.

1 Like

I got Go2 Compression Socks off Amazon before my last flight and they worked well for me. I get some pain in my legs on long flights and these helped with that. My 22 yr old has taken to wearing them to work most days. Says they help with fatigue from standing all day. They’re around $10-18 depending on the pattern.

1 Like