Random Questions

Thanks for the info. I am more likely to try compression socks if they could also get used while on the trip. Packing space is limited.

1 Like

i wear compression knee highs all the time–leg sleeves in sandal weather. They don’t take up more space than any other socks.

2 Likes

I’ve had mine a number of years and I feel like it was a worthwhile purchase. I keep them in a small Rubbermaid type container along with my other travel items such as money pouch, plug adapters etc. I find the Sockwell to be pretty comfortable. The drugstore black nylon type aren’t as comfortable. Biggest issue I find is they aren’t easy to get on. If you are flying economy I’d put them on before you board as I find I need a bit more room to be able to get them on. Also I sometimes were leggings on the plane and it’s hard to get them on under leggings.

1 Like

I was just going to ask if they fit under leggings. We are heading to Portugal and London in October and I always wear leggings on these long flights from the west coast. I was hoping to find a thin compression sock that will fit under my leggings for the trip.

On an overseas flight I used very lightweight compression socks (ha, did see Succession’s last season!).

I also move my feet alot (rotate ankles, stretch when I can) - for same purpose (to avoid clots!!)

1 Like

Old Navy has (relatively) cheap compression leggings.

For now my plan is to use light duty compression socks from Kohls ($8.99, returnable). I’ve not had swelling issues in the past, just considering them as a caution.

1 Like

First time going overseas in ten years, so where should we get some Euros? We are starting in Paris and landing in Charles deGaulle. My plan is to get a couple hundred from an ATM. Should we get them at the airport or wait until we are in the city proper? Our plan is to use charge cards or Apple Pay for most things but would like some cash.

I always do in the airport, especially if taking a cab in. There is one kind of atm that doesn’t charge a fee but can’t remember which bank it is. Just don’t let the ATM bank do the currency conversion!

Our bank had the best rate so we got some there but really we were mostly able to use a card for everything.

1 Like

With card use so easily accessible everywhere, I had to remember to spend the Rand before
I left South Africa this spring.

The recommendation I hear the most is at the airport… using debit card if possible.

For our upcoming trip, we opted to order them from AAA, using debit card to avoid extra fees. The down side is that you have visit the office twice (order, pickup), but we were there for other reasons. We don’t have a bank option available to us here.

We use a debit card that has no ATM fee in the airport and then elsewhere as needed. We use an ATM that is bank affiliated - seems as tho about half were and half were not on our trip this spring. The ones that are not are much more likely to charge a fee. We ask for the money in local currency, rather than in dollars to be converted.

2 Likes

We always use a bank ATM at the airport we land in to get some of the currency of whatever country we are visiting.

1 Like

We brought our Schwab debit card which doesn’t assess foreign transaction fee and reimbursed you for ATM charges when we were in Japan. We never used it but have used it in Canada a few times.

1 Like

I use the compression stuff that the orthopedist gave me when I broke a bone. Its thin and works well.

Has anyone been able to buy an umbrella liability policy without also buying multiple others (home and auto, for example) from the same insurance company? If so, what insurance company will do this?

For various reasons, we once had HOIns with one company and two or three auto policies with another. It wasn’t until we moved the auto policies to the same company that handles the HOIns that we were able to buy a general liability policy.

Our HOIns has gone up a great deal, even though we’ve never had a claim, likely due to catastrophic events elsewhere in the state in addition to inflation. Neighbors have had to fight for reimbursement for hail and wind damage, only to have their policies not renewed. It will surely get worse after this hurricane season.

Our current house is brick over ICF with a “Fortified Silver” roof (impact and wind resistance rating), plus storm and impact rated windows and doors, so it’s extremely sturdy. The deductible is so high that the house would nearly have to be destroyed before we could make a claim, and that seems unlikely.

If we could obtain an umbrella liability policy without also paying for HOIns we would. Our current insurance company won’t do it, or at least that’s what the new agent tells us. He’s the latest replacement running an office in our former city and he’s been of no help on anything including getting us a discount for the fortified roof and storm/impact rated windows and doors.

Hope you find what you need. It may be a tough search. I know that Allstate specified minimum coverage levels for our auto (and maybe home too) required along with their Umbrella coverage.

We’ve never had our umbrella policy with the same company as Homeowners and Auto. We do have to maintain certain liability minimums on our HO and auto.

You’ll never get an umbrella without HO because the first 500k or so of liability will be covered by the HO policy, which is where the bulk of the risk is.

If your agent can’t figure this out it may be time for a new agent, it’s not rocket science.

4 Likes

From our family’s experience, an auto policy must be in force in order to get umbrella insurance. Last year we took the car away from my elderly mother in law and she lost her umbrella coverage even though she still has homeowner’s insurance. State Farm is her carrier and they said there is no way to write a liability policy without auto.

Are you suggesting having no homeowner’s insurance at all or just forgoing wind coverage? Generally it’s the wind deductible that’s very high, but not the deductible for losses from theft or fire. Umbrella policies only pay once the primary policy has reached it’s liability limit. So if you don’t have underlying homeowner’s liability coverage, an umbrella policy will not cover an incident at your home.