Random Questions

November 2 would be “this Thursday”

6 Likes

Agree. This Thursday is this week; next Thursday is next week.

6 Likes

This :arrow_up:

2 Likes

My stand is, if I tell you “next Thursday” then it’s on me to make sure you understand which Thursday I’m talking about. And if I fail to do that, it’s on you to clarify. And if both of us fail to do that, we deserve whatever missed connections might ensue.

True, in your example, probably most people would interpret it as “a week from this Thursday.” But what if you said it on Sunday? On Friday? Just say it so you’re sure you both understand!

ETA, although now I’m wondering if you told somebody “see you next Thursday” and you’re not sure why they’re mad at you. Just kidding, just kidding!

2 Likes

I would mean Nov 9th for “next Thursday”. But… since this can be a confusing thing, usually I’d phrase it something like this - “next Thurs, Nov 9th”. Or “next week, on Thursday”. Or “a week from Thursday”

4 Likes

Thank you all for your input. In my mind, “next Thursday” is Nov 9th but I was curious to know what others thought.

The reason this question came up is because I said “next Thursday” to one of my employees today and she took it to mean Nov 2nd. When I said no, she said “well, that’s the next Thursday - there isn’t one before that”.
Then I asked someone else who initially said Nov 9th, but also said he could see merit in the 2nd being “next Thursday” :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree, I should have been more specific. But I wanted to know what the general consensus was on the use of “next”.

1 Like

I just had this conversation with a friend!

Agree with others… Thurs Nov 2 is “this Thursday” and Nov 9 “next Thursday”.

1 Like

As a practical matter, I try to say day of week, date and follow up with e-invitation to minimize misunderstandings and conflicted understandings. it seems to work pretty well.

1 Like

I agree. Next is the next week like “Thursday of next week” or “Thursday of this week”.

“This” Thursday means “this coming Thursday”, and I often say that. “Next” means the next one.

New topic random question if I might…?

Do I need to buy a wok to make good stir fry? And if so can it be electric (or is there another better one)?

I’m really trying to do more healthy home cooking. Right now my hub eats a lot of unhealthy, processed take out and I make simple vegan stuff for myself that he hates lol. We need to cut costs and he needs to eat healthier.

His standards are v. high (traveled all over and eaten at wonderful restaurants) and he likes Asian food. My skill level at cooking is low. :laughing:

But I’m committed to developing a repertoire of fast, relatively affordable, healthy meals 3-4 a week.

Really appreciate any thoughts!

1 Like

I have an electric cooktop that requires the pot to be in contact with the surface of the pot to transfer heat. When I use a wok, only the portion touching the cooking surface gets hot. I use a large deep 2-handled skillet (similar to a deep frying pan) instead of a wok. It works just fine for me.

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m not fit to advise on this one.

We had a wok about 35 years ago, a gift from MIL. Sadly I managed to set the oil (peanut?) on fire at the first use. We had not yet screwed the knob on the lid. Quick thinking hubby put the lid, upside down, onto the fire… and phew - flame extinguished. I think it went into the trash can soon after.

2 Likes

A big frying pan with high sides is most helpful. Especially for two. I cook a fair amount of Asian food and appreciate my Teflon frying pan. I got rid of the wok years ago as it was too big. I would rather not use Teflon but it does work out better for stir frying, though the carbon steel of the wok was great.

2 Likes

Look online for Purple Carrot recipes. They’re a vegan subscription product, but they have a zillion amazing Asian inspired recipes - you don’t “need” a wok if you have a larger than average frypan -

2 Likes

If you are cooking for two, you don’t need a wok. I use my cast iron pan.

2 Likes

Thank you all so much! So it sounds like I don’t need to get some new fancy kitchen appliance (there was actually some appeal to that initial idea - maybe with wok I’d suddenly become a great cook…?! LOL). However not getting it also aligns with our efforts at minimizing stuff in the house - so that was good to know!

I have a nice, non-stick 11 inch skillet. Would this be okay for stir frying? I’ve seen various perspectives online. Wasn’t sure if sides too low…?

https://www.amazon.com/GreenPan-SmartShape-Healthy-Nonstick-Anodized/dp/B095X8CQT7

You don’t NEED an electric wok but they are fun.

2 Likes

Yeah, haven’t had a wok in probably 35+ years! Was a popular wedding gift back then though!

I think looking at your pan you need something wider and at least as deep. Your vegetables will just get soggy/boiled if they don’t have room to “breathe” in the pan. You need a little more surface area.

1 Like

Perhaps start with the pan you have… see how it works.

You may want to try some frozen Asian entrees while you are ramping up on your own recipes… Our market has PF Chang frozen meals. Trader Joe has many Asian items. They all seem pretty high in sodium, but that is likely the case in restaurants (and home cooking) too.

1 Like