Random Questions

I thought my dishwasher was decently clean until I took some paper towels to the base of the door and the edges of the door - gross!!

I have two dishwashers, both the same model. I find one needs cleaning more often. Just a few days ago I was troubleshooting an odor and I cleaned all the filters, made sure the arms weren’t blocked and ran vinegar through. It still smelled. We figured out it was the garbage disposal. Boy was the inside stinking. I first tried vinegar and baking soda but it wasn’t enough. I ended up getting my hand inside and using a scrubber with baking soda. I don’t know what the black on the sponge was. I next did the baking soda with vinegar and covering the drain. Restarted it and ran cold water through while running the motor. That seems to have worked.

3 Likes

@abasket, our Bosch gets really grody along the bottom of the door, too – especially in the summer. All that heat and humidity does a number on it.

Will definitely try the vinegar. We were told to turn on the sink faucet and let the water get hot before running a load to hep keep the pipes clear. Not that I always remember, but just putting it out there…

1 Like

Disclosure: I have a black thumb. I have no garden, I have one indoor plant that won’t die. I plant things outdoors that will live despite me. So, I know nothing about growing herbs.
So, you plant them, they grow and then? Are you obligated to harvest them? Or will they just sit there waiting until you’re ready to use them? There’s no point in me getting an aero-garden if I am forced to find a recipe to use because they are ready.

Herbs tend to be very low maintenance except basil which needs to have the tops pinched off when they start flowering. (You could leave it but then the plant gets straggly). Thyme sage chives and rosemary are all ridiculously easy to grow and will just keep until you are ready to use them.

4 Likes

If you would get some joy from having the garden/growing them you could always snip the herbs and share with a friend or family member. Some herbs don’t need a recipe - like parsley, small basil, cilantro - just snip and sprinkle on top of food for flavor - eggs, pasta, in salads…

2 Likes

Has anybody enrolled in Costco / auto-renew and then cancelled 11 months later? Easy to do?

We have a postcard with $30 discount (so $30 first year instead of $60) IF we “enroll in auto renewal”. We have Sam’s and plan to keep it since the location is really handy, makes it easy to get discount gas and make quick stop at the store. We’ve been tempted to try the new Costco, but it’s on the other side of town and would likely never be our primary discount store. Joining before Christmas shopping could make sense. But I’d want easy ability to cancel next year before auto renew if we don’t use it enough.

For others also curious about Costco, here’s some things I have learned about shopping there without membership:

• nonmembers can go in the store to look at merchandise (which is often similar to Sam’s items… but some thing more high end - local friends prefer Costco meat and ability to buy liquor).
  • nonmembers can go to snack bar, buy the cheap hot dogs
  • nonmembers can buy with Costco gift cards, beyond the face value (excess paid by cash or debit card) - This Costco Gift Card Hack Lets You Shop Without a Membership
3 Likes

@Colorado_mom , oh thank you! That is great to know!

Take a look at details in link. (I have not tried this trick - not sure how old the article is. But it does say manager has to come to register for gift card purchase.)

1 Like

I have often gone with nonmembers and we never had a problem with them paying for their stuff and me for mine.

1 Like

Maybe this is one of those circumstances where the $30 couple isn’t worth it. If you want to try it instead aim to spend the $60 for membership and try to make that $60 work for you for a year by saving $$$ on meat, plants, other things - to see if it’s a worthwhile membership for you.

I get that the $30 is tempting, but if there are strings attached, maybe you can make up the $30 another way.

2 Likes

Yes, and it’s easy peasy.

1 Like

We re-landscaped a few years ago. I added some small raised beds in the far back (of our tiny yard) to grow herbs, tomatoes, etc. I’m not the best on keeping up with that kinda stuff, but it’s been fun! I love going into the backyard to clip parsley, chives, etc. for a recipe. We live in an area that doesn’t freeze so we can keep the garden going all year.

Advice: keep mint on its own or it will take over. You do need to pinch blooms off basil.

4 Likes

I am also not a big gardener but do plant basil every spring - super easy, no real maintenance (that I provide!) and lots of fragrant, fresh basil for months (enough to share with others regularly).

Seems like herbs are a pretty easy crop!

3 Likes

This 1,000 times. Grow it in a container. If you put it in the ground, those underground rhizomes will own your garden.

2 Likes

Sounds like a nice substitute for grass on a lawn. (Says oldmom who lives in an apartment on the 4th floor!)

You can get your Costco membership and cancel the auto renew at any time. Even one week or one month later, no problem. Costco is really cracking down on non members. They are not allowed in without a member or a gift card and can only pay cash at registers. I am sure it depends on your Costco manager, but that is how it is at my Costco.

3 Likes

Random question: is 3 full days enough for a low-key Mexican beach vacation? (not counting a day of travel on either end - 4 Hr flight).

Or would 4 days be better? Thinking if did 4 would have to start planning activities (outside of beach, snorkel, walk around) lol

4 would be better - it will really give you an opportunity to relax and enjoy. The only time I will do less than 4 is if I’m driving someplace and that would have to be 200 miles away or less.

Mexico beach trips are great!

2 Likes