Random Questions

I’ve never had a toaster oven or air fryer. What do you use them for? I only fry hamburgers twice a month on the stove.

We only get out the toaster when one of the dentkids comes to visit.

My S bought one (that breville) last year (Ironically I stumbled on a way better deal for it right after he bought it, oh well- he could have saved $80!) I’ll ask him how they like it.

I have a Cusinart toaster oven/air fryer combo. We use it daily. I really like it and have no interest in a separate air fryer.

1 Like

I also have the cuisinart (with the digital display, not the knobs). Cheaper at costco

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-digital-air-fryer-toaster-oven/?catalogId=79&sku=4816996&cm_ven=PLA&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Electrics%20%3E%20Toasters%20%26%20Toaster%20Ovens®ion_id=772240&cm_ite=4816996_14571727833&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8eqBhD3ARIsAIe-buOx0D0YVLweIQoHcBmWe02660nAXo9BZqge42eIk5dX4qf75TH42-IaAixdEALw_wcB

And apparently now in 2 sizes

We use toaster oven almost every morning, so we also opted for a toaster oven that has an air fry setting. That is enough for our occasional need to crisp up a small amount of food, glad to not dedicate more counter space. But per discussion with friends a real air fryer would be bigger/better for many folks.

1 Like

I make air fried taters in that thing quite frequently. With the way I cook I just don’t see the need for more appliances. This things definitely gets more use than our big oven.

1 Like

Which air fryer do you own?

I have a Breville toaster oven we are extremely happy with, but it doesn’t have the air fryer designation. With Black Friday coming up, I’m thinking about buying an air fryer…I have a closet/pantry where I wouldn’t need to worry about counter space for it.

1 Like

@abasket To be clear, the air fryer component is really just a “nice to have” feature. I would never buy a stand-alone, even tho that type probably does a better job than a multi-feature oven. We use toaster oven daily for everything from toasting bread/bagels, to toasting nuts, to baking/reheating pizza, making baked potatoes, melting cheese on meatball subs, etc. On Thanksgiving, it is an extra oven for heating up side dishes.

Our kids use it the most, but I thought maybe I would take this opportunity to not only opt for one with an air fryer feature (for things like frozen french fries), but also since it is a bigger oven than the one that just broke, we could actually use it for things we use our regular oven for esp now that we are nearly empty nesters. It would be nice to not have to heat up our large oven if we don’t need to when cooking just for the two of us.

2 Likes

I’m fairly sure that’s the model we currently own or it’s something very similar. We use it daily as a toaster, and more occasionally as an air fryer (works better than my old air fryer). We have had it for just over 2 years now and haven’t seen any reduced functionality in any category we have tried. I have used it for grilling, air frying, roasting and baking.
I am hosting 15 people for Thanksgiving and my oven just died. I don’t have a way to get a replacement oven right now so the Breville is going to get heavy use. Will see how that goes.

1 Like

We have both a regular toaster and a traditional air fryer. The air fryer was a gift and we use it occasionally but I wouldn’t buy one. My daughter on the other hand uses her air fryer a lot. The air fryer is good for some things that I used to heat up the regular oven for. We like frozen vegetarian Pattie’s that crisp up great in the air fryer as does a few slices of onion to top our veggie burgers. Reheat Mexican food, the tortillas get crisp again. I also used it this weekend to heat up a couple of frozen hash browns from Trader Joe’s. They are big and bulky and I keep it in a closet in another room. If I didn’t have space for it I’d give it away.
When our toaster goes I’d consider a combo toaster/ air fryer.

1 Like

I have 2 ovens, so I guess I wouldn’t need another. I didn’t realize you all just use the toaster oven as a small regular oven.

2 Likes

@dentmom4 my current toaster oven that just broke has several settings - bake, broil, toast, etc. It is also just big enough to also fit a 12" frozen pizza. With four kids, two of them growing boys, my kids used that oven for all kinds of individual cooking. It has more uses than the original style of toaster oven. We use it way more than our regular oven. Most of my dinner cooking is on the stove, not in the oven but the toaster oven comes in handy for side dishes like baked potatoes, etc.

2 Likes

I have the Breville convection toaster oven, and we use it often. It too allows for cooking a frozen large pizza (or whatever size Newman’s own is).

We have a combo B&D, similar to the linked item (on sale $48.99). Same footprint as our old toaster over, and that is the mode we use 95% of the time. The controls are little trickier than our old toaster oven.

I got this Emeril 9-in-1 for our son a couple of years ago and he’s been very happy with it. At the time I found a deal at Kohls for $139, but it might be lower on Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

https://a.co/d/8FW2Hxk

I’ve had (I think) that exact Breville for just under a year, and it replaced what I suspect is the same model you had, after many years of service. The “air fry” setting is apparently just an even higher convection setting. I use it a lot, for toast/bagels, casseroles, roasted vegetables, pizza… The price put me off when I was considering the original Breville, but it proved its worth. I haven’t used a standalone air fryer but even if it was a bit better at “air frying”, I think the combination of functions in the oven would win out. I have room for one thing on the countertop but not two! I’d definitely recommend it.

Oh I absolutely use the toaster oven orders of magnitude more than the oven in my stove. I can’t even remember the last time I used the “big” oven - maybe for a large batch of cookies…? The toaster oven is faster, uses less power, easier to keep clean.

1 Like

Never had a toaster oven, but the convection oven we purchased for our cabin has an air fryer feature which I keep thinking I ought to figure out how to use, but we never fry anything normally so I’m never trying to find a better way to fry. Everyone says that it does a great job with french fries but we rarely eat potatoes. I do roast a lot of other vegetables, though, so I’ll probably give that a go at some point. I’m with those who don’t want anything additional on their counters.

My parents had 2 ovens put into the house they built in 1966. When we put an addition on our house in 2002 with a much larger kitchen, I put in 2 ovens because that was what I knew.

I have a double oven but it’s quicker to reheat leftover Mexican food or to cook the veggie Pattie’s in the air fryer. The air fryer is done before my oven gets to 400 degrees.
Same with a counter top oven. I daughter uses a counter top large toaster oven to roast vegetables.

I do plenty in mine that is not frying - as you mentioned all sorts of roasted vegetables including small tomatoes when I have an over abundance! Baked potatoes. Lightly breaded chicken. Warming up pizza or leftovers quickly and Tom back to “fresh”crispy level

1 Like