Random Questions

This being CC, I have to admit that one of the first things I thought was that the kid should submit a video of this as a supplement when he applies to college. :smiley:

What is daylight savings time, and if we’re saving so much of it, who has it all?

How do they get Teflon to stick to cook ware if nothing sticks to Teflon?

Okay, those are all funny, kind of joke type questions…here is a real question I have wondered about though. Why is acceptable for a person to laugh, but not to cry? Both are outward expressions of emotions or feelings, but yet one is valid and the other is not? It makes no sense to me. Laughing, crying, breathing, all are normal functions of human beings. What gives here and am I missing something?

Daylight saving time + standard time = 0. No net gain or loss.

Magic.

Not touching that one with a 10-foot Pole.

Who says it’s not acceptable to cry? I tear up when one of my long-time staff members leaves. No one has ever criticized me or teased me about it.

@logcase18, but there are circumstances under which it’s much more accepted for people to cry than to laugh. You’re probably too young to remember the old Mary Tyler Moore show episode about Chuckles the Clown, when Mary found that she couldn’t cry at his funeral but instead kept collapsing in fits of hysterical laughter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92I04DkMEps

There are pretty rigid social expectations for emotions, but they allow for crying in some instances. True, people will judge you forever if you cry at work (in most jobs, anyway - tearing up for goodbyes not included).

Crying is revealing that something truly matters and deeply affects you on a level farther than some superficial gesture like laughing. Laughing happens naturally in weird, funny, or uncomfortable situations – it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re really troubled by something and can’t think of a better response.

I’m reminded of the scene in Good Will Hunting where Robin Williams is telling Matt Damon that he doesn’t know real loss because it only occurs “when you love something more than yourself.” It takes a lot to show someone that you care deeply enough about something for it to cause you to cry, and you expose a lot of yourself with a very small action.

Maybe I’m the weird one, but I don’t want to cry in front of my friends about my insecurities or uncertainties about the future. What would you do if you were talking to someone and they just started bursting into tears? How do you respond to that? It’s a lot easier to play off of an uncomfortable laugh – it’s someone telling you that they want to change topics or that whatever you were talking about is a sore topic. Crying is someone telling you that they’re approaching their emotional limit, and for a lot of people that’s not a place they want to go to regularly.

Actually, I have seen that episode of the show at my grandparents’ house. I laugh until I cry when I watch it…lol. “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” Lol

"Laugh and the world laughs withyou… " Most people don’t know what to do when an adult cries. At best, they’re awkward. So, “Cry, and you cry alone.”

I used to think of “oriental” as the mate of “occidental,” with one as no more offensive than the other. Which was indeed the case at one time. But of course occidental fell into disuse and oriental did not, which makes a big difference.

For a recent college grad, is it still important to keep a resume to one page or less? This student has extensive career related internship/work experience and along with multiple study abroad experiences, it is challenging to include relavent details on one page. Not sure if this “rule” holds true like it did back in the day. Thoughts?

How recent is recent? Less than 2 full-time jobs ago? One page then. The description of the experiences should go into the cover letters. Obviously, the stuff that was done in HS should be dropped off the résumé.

Thanks. This is a very recent grad. We know it should be one page. The hard part is getting it there with 7 career related internships/jobs in the college years. Trying to be ruthless…

Some of that depends on the field and the expectations. By all means, if it’s relevant, include the internships. My geologist friend had an early two pager, full of research and projects. She was succinct, but no way that would have fit in a cover letter.

Just did some ruthless editing and got it to a page. A little cramped but 1 page. Left off a few older experiences that were very solid but something had to go…

Multiple study abroad educational things to include and some art related stuff that might be atypical of many resumes adding to the length.

Well to add to the confusion, some say you should have nice margins.

If the experiences are significant and relevant, I wouldn’t adhere to the one-page rule.

Art related? Not sure what specific field this is, but many practicing artists/BFA majors, etc. I’ve met use multipage CVs instead of resumes. I know I generally use CVs in my field as well [size=1]even though I’m still in college, and I have a two pager. ymmv

WHY WHY WHY is it impossible to buy a decent peach from the grocery store??? Ugh.

Might be too early, @justamom5465. At least it is around me. I have better luck with nectarines usually which I prefer anyway because I like the smooth skin better.

The last two years I had good luck buying delicious white flesh peaches from Sam’s Club all summer.

I just got some glorious looking peaches and nectarines from the farmers market. I’m guessing they’ll be ready in about 3 days, they’re too hard now.

Let them soften at room temperature and then put them in the fridge. I finished last Tuesday’s peaches this morning and they were perfect.

I’m betting that many grocery store peaches are picked too green unless they’re local.