Ranking question?

My son comes from a non ranking high school. Does anyone have experience from previous years on how long it takes for A&M to rank him? He submitted his app on 7/11. Everything in his app is completed with the green check mark except for the rank. He’s anxiously waiting for his app to say complete.

@texasaggie99 this early in the process it may take a while for them to get to it. Those that submit later in the fall tend to get their ranking pretty quickly, like a week or two if I’m recalling correctly. Right now, unless he is close to academic admit with his test scores, they are processing through all Auto and academic applications. They won’t even start reviewing holistic til the fall (late sept early oct.)… based on prior years.

@AggieMomhelp thanks! He is an academic admit as far as test scores so hopefully they rank him in the top 25% to make it official. One reason we are so anxiously awaiting the ranking!

Yeah, so if he’s close, then they will review him with the first batch of kiddos. What’s his GPA? Sorry if you’ve already said.

@TexasAggie99 It can take several weeks to process transcript and assign rank. 2-4 weeks is not out of ordinary. Being summer, it may take a while. The first admissions decisions won’t go out until around 3rd week of September.

Don’t let up checking the portal, though. There were a few applicants last year whose AIS was incomplete because there was something not received/it was incorrect etc and they were denied admissions and were auto/academic admits. It happens. My own kid had a transcript issue and while his A&M AIS just said incomplete, another schools portal said what the error was, so then we new there was an actual mistake. Somehow, the transcript only listed the first semester of Jr year and not the 2nd semester, so we had to get new ones and upload them. Also, once he accepts admissions somewhere and you ask College Board to sent AP scores, have him verify all were sent. For my D, they only sent half of what was paid to send. She didn’t verify all were there and it messed up her first semester registration. It took College Board 3 more weeks to send them after the issue was made known to them.

@AggieMomhelp his GPA is 4.357 weighted on a 4.0 scale.

@Thelma2 if it gets to mid August and still no update for ranking he will call and verify all is good. Since we don’t have to send transcripts with the SRAR, at least we know it can’t be a transcript issue. Thanks for the info!

@TexasAggie99
All these changes and my aging brain cannot keep up! LOL
Yes, do make a call if it doesn’t update or if it makes you feel more at ease, you could call Monday and check. Most times, they have it and just have not processed it and made the updates to the portal.

For non-ranking high schools whose offices are closed for the summer, does TAMU have to wait until the offices open to determine a quartile? i.e., Does TAMU contact the non-ranking high school to obtain the information on grading scale (4.0 or 5.0) before determining the quarter the applicant is in?

@4Family4 no, they don’t need to wait until the offices are open. I called and talked to someone at A&M admissions. She told me they no longer need a school profile and they will do it once the SRAR is processed. Apparently not right after the SRAR is processed since my son’s was processed on 7/20 and he still has no ranking. But at some point they will rank after the SRAR is processed.

Does anyone know how the admissions office plans on placing students if they are not using a school profile? Do you think it’ll be based on the GPA they see on the SRAR report?

@tamuletmein We don’t know yet. Because it is new, we have seen/heard, from a TAMU affiliated source, how it is all going to work.

Applied 7/11 and got the green checkmark for the ranking today 8/19 (OOS non-ranking high school). Whew, all green checkmarks.

@4Family4 same here! Same application date too. So happy everything is complete!