Ranking the UC's

<p>sooo im sure its been done before but i’m new to the forums and i can tell there are some “experts” floating around here, so how would you “experts” rank the UCs on uh lets say academic caliber and then perhaps overall goodness…i’m assuming the academic list would start something like this:
1.UC Berkeley
2.UCLA
3…etc</p>

<ol>
<li>Berkeley</li>
<li>Los Angeles</li>
<li>San Diego</li>
<li>Irvine</li>
<li>Santa Barbara</li>
<li>Davis</li>
<li>Santa Cruz</li>
<li>Riverside</li>
<li>Merced</li>
</ol>

<p>I disagree just a little
1. Berkeley
2. Los Angeles
3. San Diedo
4. Irvine
5. Davis
6. Riverside
7. Santa Barbara
8. Santa Cruz
9. Merced (haha)</p>

<p>I'm interested, Why did you put Santa Barbara lower than riverside?</p>

<p>ucb
ucla
ucsd
uci
ucd
ucsb
ucsc
ucr
ucm</p>

<p>ucb
ucla
ucsd
ucsb
uci
ucd
ucsc
ucr
ucm</p>

<p>^ucsb over uci??? i disagree.</p>

<p>Academic List:
UCB
UCLA</p>

<p>UCSD (Can be put in either top or mid tier)</p>

<p>UCD
UCI
UCSB</p>

<p>UCSC
UCR
UCM</p>

<p>Social List:
UCSB
UCLA
UCB
UCD
UCSC
UCR
UCI
UCSD</p>

<p>You will get an argument from some people about whether Berkeley or UCLA should go first, for a variety of reasons. You'll also get a lot of disagreement regarding the ranking of Davis, Irvine and Santa Barbara. Pretty much everyone will put UCSD between those two groups, and also put UCSC after the Santa Barbara/Irvine/Davis group. but before Riverside and Merced. Who knows regarding Riverside and Merced? Merced hasn't even existed long enough to graduate a class....</p>

<p>ucb
ucla
ucsd
ucd
ucsb
ucsc
uci
ucr
ucm</p>

<p>I live near UCI, and did research there for a summer. That campus has no personality to it and offers little if any intellectual stimulation.</p>

<p>u have to be kidding me^ below ucsc?????!!!</p>

<p>Berkeley
Los Angeles
San Diego
Irvine
Davis
Santa Barbara
Santa Cruz
Riverside
Merced</p>

<p>Rankings are all fundamentally flawed... however, most people generally accept that the UCs can broken down into several tiers. I have them listed in no particular order, except in the order that they come up from my mind. From top tier to the bottom, with no particular order within each tier.</p>

<p>UCB
UCLA</p>

<p>UCSD</p>

<p>UCI
UCSB
UCD</p>

<p>UCR
UCM</p>

<ol>
<li>Berkeley</li>
<li>Los Angeles</li>
<li>San Diego</li>
<li>Davis</li>
<li>Irvine</li>
<li>Santa Barbara</li>
<li>Santa Cruz</li>
<li>Riverside</li>
<li>Merced</li>
</ol>

<p>Ucb
Ucla
Ucsd
Uci
Ucd
Ucsb
Ucsc
Ucr
Ucm</p>

<ol>
<li>Berkeley</li>
<li>Los Angeles</li>
</ol>

<h2>3. San Diego</h2>

<ol>
<li>Davis</li>
<li>Santa Barbara</li>
</ol>

<h2>6. Irvine</h2>

<ol>
<li>Santa Cruz</li>
<li>Riverside</li>
<li>Merced</li>
</ol>

<p>my thing was right, go check rankings ppl</p>

<p>Chang,</p>

<p>Rankings fluxuate all the time, but in general the tiers are well established. Davis, for example is ranked lower than UCI and UCSB due to a FLAW.</p>

<p><a href="http://media.www.californiaaggie.com/media/paper981/news/2005/11/18/FrontPage/Officials.Incorrect.Ranking.Will.Not.Affect.Graduate.Professional.School.Admissi-1321788.shtml?sourcedomain=www.californiaaggie.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://media.www.californiaaggie.com/media/paper981/news/2005/11/18/FrontPage/Officials.Incorrect.Ranking.Will.Not.Affect.Graduate.Professional.School.Admissi-1321788.shtml?sourcedomain=www.californiaaggie.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Also, check out some other sources. UCLA here is ranked higher than Berk. and UCI and UCSB aren't even on the list. UC Davis is ranked right below Harvard. The point is, the difference between UCLA and Berk is negligible and rankings aren't set in stone.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2005/0509.collegeguide.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2005/0509.collegeguide.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The UC's are all pretty level academically for undergrads, the biggest source of differentiation in rankings would be prestige (and of course putting the UC you chose over the UC's that you didn't or that rejected you).</p>

<p>Go bears!!</p>