Ranking the UC's

<p>I’ve never thought of UCI as in the same league as UCD and UCSB. I can’t explain it anymore than gut feel…</p>

<p>The new 2010 Princeton Review has UCLA one spot above UCB, 33 and 34 respectively so they are neck in neck since 2009 US and World News Report has UCB slightly ahead of UCLA. Both are great schools, it depends on which environment a person likes better, which school you get into and what you want to study.</p>

<p>arcadefire1027: “I’ve never thought of UCI as in the same league as UCD and UCSB. I can’t explain it anymore than gut feel…”</p>

<p>I agree. I know that UCI is generally perceived as more selective prestigious than UCSB, but I think that UCI and Davis are about equal.</p>

<p>UC Tiers:</p>

<ol>
<li>UC Berkeley</li>
<li><p>UC Los Angeles</p></li>
<li><p>UC San Diego</p></li>
<li><p>UC Davis</p></li>
<li><p>UC Irvine</p></li>
<li><p>UC Santa Barbara</p></li>
<li><p>UC Santa Cruz</p></li>
<li><p>UC Riverside</p></li>
<li><p>UC Merced</p></li>
</ol>

<p>UCSD has more potential than any other UC: good location, safe neighborhood, more funding in research, Nobel Prize winners professors and it just exists for 40 years. In 3 years, the ranking would be:</p>

<p>UCB
UCLA, UCSD
UCI
UCSB
UCD
UCSC
UCR
UCM</p>

<p>IMO, UCSC will soon be becoming a “Middle Tier UC”. For the past several years they have been becoming more selective and plan on decreasing admissions to freshman applicants. Several years ago they had around a 80% acceptance rate and now it is in in the low %60s</p>

<p>^So because they are deciding to accept less students, that means their programs are better?</p>

<p>Nah, but it means his peers are more motivated, which probably contributes greatly to a better learning environment. A lower acceptance rate can also contribute positively to things like school pride, which make a difference in the environment.</p>

<p>^I don’t see how it means that at all. More unmotivated people could be applying.</p>

<p>There is a strong correlation between acceptance rate and the general rankings of the UC’s.
UCB- 22%
UCLA- 22%
UCSD- 42%
UCSB- 48%
UCD- 46%
UCI- 44%
UCSC- 64%
UCR- 80%
UCM- 85%</p>

<p>^Exactly, rankings, because the people who figure those rankings out don’t sit through classes, talk to professors, and enter internships programs from the universities. They need something to go off of. I’m not saying UCSC isn’t getting better, I’m just saying I don’t think it is because they’re accepting less students.</p>

<p>$Kings–for what it’s worth–i totally agree with you. you sound like my son, lol!</p>

<p>it’s great to see young people using their critical thinking skills. seriously.</p>

<p>Because all residents at La Jolla City did not want to have a town with all entertainment centers near by. They want a quiet and safe neighborhood to preserve their properties values. </p>

<p>I got accepted at UCLA, UCSD, UCI, Pomona College but I decide to go for UCSD because of my Bio-Engineering, Bio-Medical major and in particular it is closed to the beach.</p>

<p>According to US News and World Reports, UCSD is number 2 after John Hopkins for Bio-Med major.</p>

<p>UCB
UCLA
UCSD
UCI
UCD
UCSB
UCR
UCSC
UCM
Personally I think UCR is better than UCSC, coming from a person who could have went to both schools and seen both campuses but is choosing UCR. Especially with the medical school UCR will have in the next couple years I see UCR’s ranking increase in the near future.</p>

<p>Ucb
ucla
ucsd
ucd
uci
ucsb
ucsc/ucr
ucm</p>

<p>berkeley
LA
SD
D/I/SB
SC
R
M</p>

<p>UC Irvine vs UCSB?</p>

<p>Criminology (UCI) vs Sociology (UCSB)</p>

<p>Funny how most people are just copying the same rankings from the post previous to their own. Personally, I would rank SB higher than Irvine, despite what most of you may think. Again, this is a personal preference, and just so you may know, it’s not influenced by the fact that I got into SB, because I got into Irvine as well.</p>

<p>According to the 2010 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), which ranks Graduate programs, here are the overall rankings for the UCs. They also have breakouts by field and subject, i.e., Engineering, Physics, Social, Medical, Business, etc… </p>

<p>Only Campuses which appeared in the overall ranking are listed below.
Campus - Rank</p>

<p>UCB - 2
UCLA - 13
UCSD - 14
UCSF - 18
UCSB - 32
UCD - 46
UCI - 46
UCR - (101-150)
UCSC - (101-150)</p>

<p>I know this is not for undergraduate programs, but if you are interested in research opportunities, going to a UC Campus where undergraduate research is encouraged this information may be helpful.</p>

<p>My personal preference (without prestige taken into consideration):</p>

<ol>
<li>UCLA</li>
<li>UC Davis</li>
<li>UCSB</li>
<li>Cal</li>
<li>UCSD</li>
<li>UCSC</li>
<li>UC Irvine</li>
<li>UCR</li>
<li>UCM</li>
</ol>