RD acceptances class of 2023 - Sarah Lawrence

Does anyone know when SLC acceptances (RD) will be notified? and how - email, portal, or snail mail?

It seems like they might be coming at around March 17th as that was the date that they were released online last year. I was just looking at their social media accounts in the previous years as they usually make a congratulations post when they get released.

My daughter’s portal was updated. Waitlisted. Disappointed but not losing hope yet. Anyone else?

My daughter is also waitlisted. We are a little bummed, too.

My D was accepted, so thankful for that today.

Accepted with a presidential scholarship! I’m so excited! Congrats to everyone else!

Here are my stats:
SAT I (breakdown): 1510 (superscore, 790 R 710 M)
ACT (breakdown): 33
SAT II (place score in parentheses): Did not submit
Weighted GPA (out of 100): 102.63
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 10% (the most specific rating my school does)
AP (place score in parentheses): World History (4), Biology (5), US History (5), English Language (5)
IB (place score in parentheses): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: History Through Film, SUNY Old Westbury Advanced Spanish, AP US Government, AP Calculus AB, SUPA English (Syracuse University course), AP Environmental Science
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): AP Scholar with Honor

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): Key Club (President), Model UN (President), Cities of Peace Initiative (founder, president), Broadway Club (founder, president), Century Club, NHS, World Language Honor Society (Spanish), School musical- Les Mis (ensemble), school play (minor lead)
Job/Work Experience: I’ve been with the same job for the last four years and just picked up two new jobs this year in addition, which might have appeared to demonstrate dedication in my application.
Volunteer/Community Service: Over 300 hours, I’ve volunteered a significant amount with two specific organizations that I attend on a weekly basis.
Summer Activities: Work, volunteering, chilling at the beach, nothing too special
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 9, I had a professional grader look over mine because I was unsure about it and she said not to change a thing because it showed my passion so I think it was good! I also got a handwritten note about my essay with my likely letter!
Teacher Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 8-9, I got two letters from teachers who were very close to me and whose classes I worked very hard in.
Counselor Rec (rating 1-10, details): 7-8, most likely pretty good but not incredibly personal
Additional Rec (rating 1-10, details): 9-10, letters from the directors of the two organizations I volunteer with
Interview: Did not have one

Other:
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
State (if domestic applicant): NY
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White
Income Bracket: 30k
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): None

Reflection:
Strengths: Grades, test scores, community service, essays/recs
Weaknesses: No hooks, did not submit SATII scores, no interview
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I think I was able to demonstrate my passion for learning and knowledge through my application!
Where else you are applying or have already applied: Barnard (RD), Boston College (Accepted), Boston University (RD), Columbia (RD), Fordham University (Accepted), NYU (RD), Northeastern (Waitlisted), Providence (Accepted), Simmons University (Accepted), UPenn (RD)
General Comments/Advice/Hindsight: Please do not stress over college! My plan did not go 100% how I wanted it to but I am so happy things are turning out the way they did.

My daughter is a very non traditional student (secular homeschooler in the deep south) so our transcript/ECs are quite different than others. We hoped it would help but perhaps not. She’s been accepted to two, waitlisted here and await 7 more. However, I think we thought we had the best shot at SL since the acceptance rate so much higher than most all the others she’s applied to. So we now have kind of an icky feeling. But I’m trying not to be too pessimistic. We demonstrate a lot of financial aid so I know that doesn’t help us (anywhere).

Waitlisted.

Here are my stats:
SAT I (breakdown): 1580 (Superscore w/ 780 R 800 M)
ACT (breakdown): N/A
SAT II (place score in parentheses): 730 Math 2, 770 US History
GPA (Unweighted 4.0 Scale): 3.96
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): No rankings at my school
AP (place score in parentheses): US History (5), Comp Gov (Planned), US Gov (Planned), Physics C Mechanics (Planned), Chemistry (Planned), Human Geography (Planned), Calculus AB (Planned)
IB (place score in parentheses): N/A
Senior Year Course Load: AP US Government, AP Calculus AB, AP Physics C, AP Comparative Government, Composition 2 at Community College, AP Human Geography, Literature at Community College, Honors World History
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): National Merit Finalist, National Hispanic Scholar

Subjective:
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parentheses): top wind ensemble and symphony orchestra at my school as a percussionist, and was unable to do anything else because of extenuating medical circumstances and an atypical schedule
Job/Work Experience: unable to work because of extenuating medical circumstances and an atypical schedule
Volunteer/Community Service: unable to complete because of extenuating medical circumstances and an atypical schedule
Summer Activities: I’ve spent every summer other than the one between freshman and sophomore year taking classes online to get ahead and/or make up for ones I’d missed in early years due to medical issues
Essays (rating 1-10, details): 8 on Common App Essay, which was about my struggles to overcome a severe chronic illness, and I did not complete the Sarah Lawrence supplement
Teacher Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): 9, I had letters from two teachers who know me well and like me a lot, and who I have had for multiple classes
Counselor Rec (rating 1-10, details): 9, I know her well and she likes me a lot and knows a lot about what I’ve dealt with and overcome these last few years
Additional Rec (rating 1-10, details): N/A
Interview: I did not have one and did not accept the opportunity to interview back in October, as I was out of town at the time

Other:
Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
State (if domestic applicant): WA
Country (if international applicant):
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: Hispanic + White
Income Bracket: >100k, but with extreme extenuating circumstances and a long job loss
Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): URM, disabled if that counts

Reflection:
Strengths: Test scores, grades, hooks, unique background
Weaknesses: Did not complete essay or interview, lack of ECs
Why you think you were accepted/deferred/rejected: I don’t think I demonstrated enough interest in the school and that not having a supplemental essay OR interview hurt me
Where else you are applying or have already applied: Harvard (Deferred EA), Northwestern (RD), NYU (RD), USC (RD), Stanford (RD), Cal Poly SLO (Accepted w/ scholarship), UW Seattle (Accepted), University of Maryland (Accepted w/ scholarship into honors), Northeastern (Accepted w/ scholarship into honors program).

My D did not submit SAT scores, has a GPA 3.8, ECs: Theatre, music…tons at school and in community, Environmental Club, LGBT club, AP Lang and AP lit and Calc. Strong science interest and grades. White, identifies as non-binary, Income 60,000 ish so lots of aid needed. No hooks. No interview. Is waitlisted atSkidmore as well, accepted at AMDA (BFA theatre school) but utterly unaffordable. Accepted at the safety state school. Waiting to hear from Bard, Wesleyan, Smith, Mt. Holyoke. Mistake not to interview at SL! She’s a great fit. Hmmm.

@MarlboroMom since my daughter is a self led homeschooler with experiential education experience (semester in South Africa) she loved the idea of this school and the way they did their curriculum so she is a little down about it. Was def one of her top schools. She is accepted (with nice scholarship) at Agnes Scott and accepted this morning at Bard Berlin but are waiting to hear from several of the ones you are waiting to hear from. I had high hopes for Holyoke (my pick) since their acceptance rates are similar to SL but now I’m doubting that one, too. We couldn’t interview because there was no regional rep anywhere near us and certainly couldn’t afford to fly to NY for an interview. Man, these weeks are so stressful, aren’t they??

I may be more stressed out than D is! I really had hopes for SL because of the seminar set up and possibilities to combine interests and dive deeply into an area of interest. D is creative (writing, music, theatre, visual arts) and loves science —I hope she gets the chance to explore connections, wherever she lands. She has been plannng a gap year, so at this point, much is in the air.
Mt Holyoke is an interesting place. I’ve worked with several students from MH as Vista volunteers and they were fantastic. And the library looks like Hogwarts. Lol. Wish you great good luck

Accepted!!
GPA: 3.4 UW, 3.6 W
Competitive all-girls prep school on West coast
SAT: 1290
Essays were strong
Theatre major
quite a few ECs.

@lexphie2001 Congrats for your daughter! Is she planning to attend? Does she have a special area of interest? My D was accepted as well and we are trying to get extra info. Have you visited the campus or taken a tour?

Does anyone have concern about SLC and the smallish endowment? (My D was accepted earlier in the year ED to Hampshire with big scholarship before they decided not to admit a full freshman class due to financial difficulties. Things are even worse for current Hampshire kids I think.) Hampshire and SLC are schools that must spend a great deal of money on professors and actual pedagogy considering their teaching methods and that is what my D loves about these schools. After the painful Hampshire experience tho, I am now very wary of having a similar experience at another small LAC in this financially challenging environment.

Thank you! congrats to yours as well. We’re waiting on a few other schools but she is very excited. Have not visited and we’re also searching for more info.

hi everyone – im a current SLC student. please feel free to message me with questions.

accepted as of yesterday 3/18/19

@iamthomyorke was this off the waitlist? Or did you just check the portal for the first time? Just curious as my D is waitlisted from the 15th results :slight_smile:

Accepted with a 1460 sat and decent financial aid. not attending though

SLC’s in decent financial shape. It’s actually been expanding with the new Barbara Walters student center opening up.