RD Decisions

<p>I heard today that I am in and the letter was a packet.</p>

<p>Heard today, in with pretty darn good financial aid.</p>

<p>My D heard today, also with very nice FA.</p>

<p>I got in today, too. Good financial aid.</p>

<p>S got in today, packet on West Coast. Also good financial aid.</p>

<p>dancerinwaiting - where are you going?</p>

<p>Our daughter got in EA, but we just received the financial aid package, and it was not what we hoped for. Makes it a tougher decision.</p>

<p>Congrats to those who got in. </p>

<p>Called them today, since I'm a transfer I have to wait until April 15th, apparently.</p>

<p>That leaves me plenty of time to make a decision... :|</p>

<p>mainfox-</p>

<p>I have yet to decide...its actually stressing me out. Sarah Lawrence was my first choice, and I got in, but my financial aid was much better for Hampshire, and money really is an issue for me, as my parents just separated.</p>

<p>I also have yet to hear about financial aid from Bennington and Bard.</p>

<p>But Hampshire is looking like a good choice.</p>

<p>What about you?</p>

<p>hi Dancerinwaiting - I don't know either! I got a pretty good financial package at Hampshire, andit is my first choice, especially because I can take dance at the five colleges...Another option is that, since I am graduating high school in three years, I am thinking a year off and deferring my Hampshire admission. I have to think about it!!</p>

<p>mainfox-
do you have AIM?</p>

<p>(You can private message me if you dont want the whole world knowing your screenname)</p>

<p>Facebook also works.</p>

<p>I have a huge scary decision to make.</p>

<p>My daughter got her acceptance Monday of this week.</p>

<p>Exciting, but Amherst/Hadley/Northhampton are a long way from San Francisco.</p>

<p>We'll see this next Monday, when we will be on campus for a visit.</p>

<p>In this season (late winter/early spring) your daughter may be a bit taken aback by the weather and how it looks....it won't be very green and trees don't come out for a few weeks....just bear that in mind. Its still pretty chilly here! But the views and weather in fall - you just can't compare it!!!</p>

<p>We will be visiting mid-April from California as well. I would love to have my D like the school as they are offering a nice FA package and it sounds like an interesting academic environment. I am afraid she will be turned off by how rural it is. From the descriptions it seems to be in the middle of nowhere.</p>

<p>S. and I visited last September. The weather was beautiful and the campus is very bucolic.The town of Amherst itself is not huge, but with the five college consortium it doubles in size to about 60,000 when school is in session. You have to deal with snow, but between all of the schools--Amherst, Hampshire, Mt Holyoke, Smith and UMass and the towns of Amherst and Northampton I think there is plenty to do. My son, who really likes Portland and was concerned about the location thought it would be "adequate" If you "need" a big city Boston is a couple of hours away</p>

<p>thanks for the heads up about weather. I grew up in Mass., so I know how it is (but I've still checked the weather). </p>

<p>She ain't picking the place for the weather, that's for sure!! (but she isn't picking Puget Sound for the weather, either) :-)</p>

<p>Lyre: My daughter has similar feelings, as she was turned off by Whitman, for example. But Northhampton is a bit more lively of a college town than Walla Walla, to say the least. It's probably as good a college town as you can get (though, again, the weather ain't great...but it's better than upstate New York...or Vermont...or Maine!!!)</p>

<p>:-)</p>

<p>^Yeah, I tried to get my D interested in Whitman also, but Walla Walla was a no go as well. :) So, how far away is Northhampton from the Hampshire campus? I am very curious about the area ... I have never spent any time at all in Massachusetts (drove through once).</p>

<p>Hi Lyre - Hampshire campus itself is really small but the area is not. The town of Amherst has your smaller shops etc and borders Amherst College. The town is really nice and full of college kids. The bigger "mall type" shops are up the street. Northhampton is really close and a bus takes you to all five campuses, so it is easy to get around. UMASS Amherst also just got a bus station on their campus and I think you can actually go to Boston from there. I personally think that one of the best parts about Hampshire is the area.</p>

<p>^Thanks mainefox! That really helps give us an idea of what it's like.</p>