RD Indiana Chances

So my DS20 decided last minute to add IUB to his application list. He has applied EA to 10 schools, and at this point can only apply RD to Indiana. He decided to apply over this Thanksgiving break.

He has been accepted at 3 of the original 10 he applied to (Earlham College, Salve Regina University, and University of Southern CT). Since we will likely head to Indiana to visit Earlham, he decided to add Indiana/Bloomington to the list. 6 of his original 10 are large state flagships (UConn instate, UMass Amherst, UMD, Rutgers, College of Charleston, URI…

Stats are 3.5 weighted GPA from pretty rigorous HS program. Lots of APs (4s and 5s on exams) and Honors as well. 4 UConn ECE courses this senior year. Really solid essay, strong references, 3 season athlete (running) including winter track captain this year, and 1330 SAT. Applied for Arts and Sciences/Economics.

Our plan is to visit when we head out to visit Earlham. DS got a significant scholarship there, and the decision is not at all solid at this point.

Thoughts and chances appreciated.

@CTCape Congrats to your son. I’m happy to hear that you’ll be visiting Earlham and IU. I have past and current experience with both institutions. They are very different places, but both are quite good IMO. It really depends on what he’s looking for. IU has everything you’d expect from a state flagship, and Bloomington is a fun town. Music at IU is particularly notable. Earlham is small, rigorous (but nurturing) and a very international community. Two Earlham students have been selected as International Rhodes Scholars over the past three years, so the top group there is likely as good as you’ll find anywhere. I’m not sure how competitive of a runner your son is, but he could almost certainly compete at NCAA DIII Earlham. If he’s a DI caliber runner, I know a few people who competed for IU and enjoyed it. PM me if you’d like to discuss further.

@microbial40 Thank you so much! I’m sorry that I just saw your response. I think DS started out thinking he was only interested in larger universities, but that has evolved. I think that he could be happy at either, tbh. He is at a point now where he is quite burned out by the whole process. He’s heard back from a few other places, gotten some merit $ here and there, and is currently more confused than ever. He’s decided that he wants to wait until he hears back from everywhere before making any decisions. Unfortunately, he won’t hear from our state flagship until March 1, and we really can’t wait until then to decide if we’re visiting IU/Earlham, so he’s going to have to be flexible. I’m letting him enjoy his vacation and will broach after the New Year. I will definitely PM if I have questions.

How was the visit? Or how’s the current process. I’m a junior at Earlham College.