RD Notification

<p>oh come on, don’t bring race into it. could you really call Hampshire a safety when your ACT was 26?</p>

<p><em>Not bringing race into it</em></p>

<p>I thought about it some more and my guess is that they had a larger applicant pool than usual. I saw some really strong candidates, way better than me stats-wise, posting on the ED acceptance thread.</p>

<p>Plus, I know I didn’t show as much interest as I could’ve. There are probably plenty of applicants who wanted to go more than me.</p>

<p>Good - Hampshire deserves to grow as a college. I haven’t lost hope either - I read that their waitlist pool is usually 50-ish students and they might accept about 20, so I still have a decent chance. :)</p>

<p>Yeah, I got wait-listed as well. Try not to feel bad though guys, with the numbers on their letter, the acceptance rate this year is under 16% INCLUDING the waiting list, and that’s out of what looks like a pretty competitive pool. </p>

<p>But hey, if anyone’s that displeased with them, feel free to deny the waiting list/admission offer and bump my chances up a notch. ;)</p>

<h2>oh come on, don’t bring race into it. could you really call Hampshire a safety when your ACT was 26? </h2>

<p>Last i checked the ACT was only a small part of what they lok at. Besides the fact that the average ACT score for the incoming class is 23-27. I’m well in the high range and there is no reason that my ACT should have lowered my chances that drastically at all. And to answer your question, yes it was a safety school for me. As for the race factor, i am not racist in the slightest, in fact, i fully support diversity in schools and am bent on attending a school full of diversity. However, the fact is, that race DOES play a factor in the admission decisions. Do you believe that an asian student with a 20 ACT, a 3.4 GPA, and barely any extracurriculars should be admitted to University of Chicago while a white student with a 26 ACT, 3.8 GPA, and plenty of outstanding extracurriculars is denied? Yes this is a true scenario that occured this year EA to the school. Anyway, my point is, we live in America and obviously the majority of the applicants to any college in America are going to be white, and that fact should not set anyone back - especially any American native - from attending a college that they want to attend.</p>

<p>“Do you believe that an asian student with a 20 ACT, a 3.4 GPA, and barely any extracurriculars should be admitted to University of Chicago while a white student with a 26 ACT, 3.8 GPA, and plenty of outstanding extracurriculars is denied? Yes this is a true scenario that occured this year EA to the school.”</p>

<p>You’re obviously full of ■■■. No one with an ACT of under 23 has been admitted to UChicago in the last two years (as per official data), and usually, no one gets in under 30 if they aren’t recruited athletes. You apparently have no idea what you’re talking about. Besides, Asians are usually disadvantaged even more than whites in the admissions process.</p>

<p>Try not to feel bad though guys, with the numbers on their letter, the acceptance rate this year is under 16% INCLUDING the waiting list, and that’s out of what looks like a pretty competitive pool. </p>

<hr>

<p>Holy cow. Previously their acceptance rate was something like 70%. I wonder what cause them to get such an increase in applicants this year? That does make me feel better though.</p>

<p><em>Cannot wait to hear if I get invited off the wait list</em></p>

<p>“with the numbers on their letter, the acceptance rate this year is under 16% INCLUDING the waiting list”</p>

<p>I think you’re talking about the number of SPOTS for the incoming class over the total number of applicants. That isn’t the acceptance rate; that’s the percent yield–Hampshire has probably admitted around 50% of applicants and out of those admits, they’re expecting 16% or so to actually ENROLL. I think it’s not very plausible for any college decrease/increase the acceptance rate by more than 30% in a single year.</p>

<p>About the ethnicity/race issue: I’m an international applicant (from Southeast Asia) and I got accepted with a half-ride offer (scholarships and grants). I think colleges are keen on the “diversity” of the incoming class, but diversity isn’t limited to ethnicity by any means–your interests, skills, etc. compared to other applicants matter too.</p>

<p>“the acceptance rate this year is under 16% INCLUDING the waiting list”
Echoing others here, but this figure is wildly inaccurate - the hampshire tumblr states that the admisson rates in the previous years were around 65% :
[Happenings</a> at Hampshire | Can you please tell me approximately how many of the 256 transfer applicants this year will be admitted? 50%? 10%? Just so I can calculate my chances and sleep easier at night :slight_smile: Thank you!](<a href=“http://hampshireadmissions.■■■■■■■■■■/post/20178290598/can-you-please-tell-me-approximately-how-many-of-the]Happenings”>http://hampshireadmissions.■■■■■■■■■■/post/20178290598/can-you-please-tell-me-approximately-how-many-of-the)
and this year, with the particularly competitive and strong applicant pool, it must be something like 50%.</p>

<h2>You’re obviously full of ■■■. No one with an ACT of under 23 has been admitted to UChicago in the last two years (as per official data), and usually, no one gets in under 30 if they aren’t recruited athletes. You apparently have no idea what you’re talking about. Besides, Asians are usually disadvantaged even more than whites in the admissions process. </h2>

<p>Well I happen to know for a fact that it is true. And if that’s what you think, YOU’RE the one who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. Colleges can admit whoever the hell they want based on WHATEVER they want! Idk, maybe his dad bribed them! But it’s a true scenario. You dont have to believe me, but why don’t you go google “affirmative action” and look at the definition.</p>

<p>Wow Ivy12375, your attitude and anger must have come through on your application, no surprise to me as to why you weren’t admitted. I’m more wondering why you were waitlisted instead of denied. Please find another school to attend.</p>

<p>It seems to me to be too far a leap of logic from, “I have good SAT/ACT/GPA scores and didn’t get in”, to, “we are white so we get no benefits in our own country”. Hampshire makes no secret that it places a high value on writing skills; I don’t think that it matters much what your scores are if you did not write good essays on the applications.</p>

<p>It is also pretty hard to avoid the charge of racism with a statement like, “we are white so we get no benefits in our own country”. What else could the intent of “our own country” be, except that the U.S. is a country owned by white people?</p>

<p>It’s 25 to 29 ACT according to college board. You’re just above the 25th percentile. I repeat, how can you call that a safety school?</p>

<p>Hah–you guys are right! Silly mistake on my part. Looks like the acceptance rate is still down a good bit from last year, though.</p>

<p>As an Asian student with a 30 ACT, I was wait-listed.
I firmly believe that the applicant pool was very competitive this year, in terms of scores and personality. Race is definitely not the main factor in deciding who gets to go to a school and who doesn’t. </p>

<p>Congrats to everyone admitted, and good luck to everyone waiting! :)</p>

<p>Wow, hearing everyone’s ACT/SAT scores makes me feel like I was admitted and given a scholarship by mistake. I’m a full IB Diploma student with a 3.5 uw gpa and I didn’t submit my SAT scores (because they’re horrendous).</p>

<p>Good luck to those on the waitlist!</p>

<p>I was accepted with a really good financial aid offer. I’m surprised so many people got waitlisted.</p>

<p>Is absolutely everyone sending their SAT scores even though Hampshire is SAT-optional? As a (poor!) international transfer student who didn’t even take SAT, and bearing in mind the superstrong applicant pool, I should probably give up the hope :/</p>

<p>@HelplessChild: As I’ve said, I didn’t send in my scores, but I still got in with a generous scholarship+grant offer. Don’t give up! I’m sure they’ll see something great in your application, especially if you really WANT to study at Hampshire and your essays reflect that.</p>

<p>@nerves - oh wow, haven’t seen your post earlier. It really gives me hope. I’ll try to take it easy and not over-analyze the situation - it’s impossible to predict anything …</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I think that’s pretty impressive, I don’t think you should be surprised!</p>