Realistic College List for a B Student

UGA is a no go. The SAT is in range. The GPA far below. I don’t believe UGA RATES IN STATE ABD OOS differently.

Their engineering/CS is not strong. But forgetting that, the school is not easy at all. It’s rising quickly !!

It’s a reach is all I’m saying. Apply but don’t expect.

2 Likes

Emory is a reach for your son. UGA is a reach as well… The bottom 25th of admits (which includes athletes and institutional admits) had a UGA GPA of over 4.0. Read the Admission Blog for UGA particularly the way they calculate the GPA, and then look at the admissions stats, focusing on the GPA which on the blog is the UGA GPA. Unless your son’s UGA GPA is significantly higher than the one stated in your post, UGA is unlikely. If you are looking for in state, you should consider Georgia College and KSU.

Edited: I just saw your son has taken 5 APs. Unfortunately that won’t bring his UGA GPA within range. They do not give any weight to DE classes in calculating the UGA GPA.

Clemson will not be a safety. Not sure about Auburn OOS. Maybe Alabama?

1 Like

Having gone through engineering admissions 2 years ago I agree with this. Remember that big in-states often have deceptive stats. Generally it’s MUCH harder for OOS students AND those in engineering and CS to be admitted to schools like UIUC.

1 Like

I have also heard DePaul in Chicago highly recommended for CS/game design, and it’s not as reachy as some others on your list.

3 Likes

My son goes to Bama. The OP will get in but it seems like UAH has game design although it’s known for aerospace. BAMA, by the way has tons of OOS geniuses because they buy them in but someone like the OP will get admitted. It also has an engineering quad and auto lab that are amongst the nicest of any school in the country. Students flock there from nationwide due to scholarships. Tons of valedictorians.

Kids find jobs from there. Not sure why the rank doesn’t follow. Ms State another solid safety and maybe UCF. I think I mentioned U of Az b4

To the OP, throw out the school’s average stats. CS is on another level.

But there are fantastic and hopefully affordable programs out there for your son.

2 Likes

Full Sail is a for profit college. I would delete it from the list solely for that reason. You have been given some other very good options.

3 Likes

I only mentioned bcuz I travel for work. A lady working night audit in Knoxville sent her kid there for video and he had several lucrative offers. It popped on a list so I threw it down.

1 Like

OP asked what RHIT is. Rose Hulman Institure of Technology, the #1 engineering college of schools that don’t offer phds. It’s in Terre Haute Indiana. Very small. We visited. Kids love it tho and they make bank.

My son does engineering, not CS. But every CS chat on the CC has some who say where you go is not relevant, especially a few years out. It’s more what you know.

Btw UTK another to add in my home state. Not sure about game. My friends son graduated with 4 offers. Not sure of $$

Find the right school for your son, one within your defined budget since you are full pay. Tons of solid programs.

Your son, not US News, should pick his school.

2 Likes

I don’t like " for profit" either. Thank you for pointing it out.

Plus the graduation rate at Full Sail is reported to be under 40%. Your son has much better suggested options here.

2 Likes

Was my bad. Was on a list of top game schools and I had heard good things. But I didn’t mean to put out the next ITT to you. Hopefully some of my other ideas will help.

They are name brand albeit not all that you’d consider prestigious. Prestige is a dangerous word. Lots of kids are successful from lots of schools.

Kennesaw is up and coming. And will be affordable. U may try U of SC too. Not known for CS but a very solid flagship.

My daughter was in at both UGA Honors and U of SC Honors. Chose neither….college of Charleston….but eliminated UGA first. U of SC was her 2nd choice.

Just looked at Charleston’s website. Seems like they are a fit for CS and game design and will be a safety. It seems very friendly too.

1 Like

What is OP? Sorry I’m quite new here and not familiar with the lingos.

I asked my wife two mos ago. Same for me. Original Poster

1 Like

Since you have other TX schools on your list, look into UTD as a possible match. Check both their cs and ATEC majors.

Purdue and UIUC are quite unlikely for a cs major.

2 Likes

Original Poster, i.e. the one who started the thread.

There was an article in Politico about how they now calculate rankings - there is a thread on it re:UA. You are right though - free tuition and more for an OOS flagship is very appealing! My son stuck with in state as we are in Georgia and he gets free tuition anyway (and didn’t apply for any higher scholarship at UA), and it does attract top quality students.

Interestingly, test scores are now a lower percentage of ranking as they are seen to indicate wealth. Enrolling the highest number of low income students and getting them to graduate seems like a big factor in the rankings. University of Alabama ranking drops to No. 153 in 2020 U.S. News college rankings - what now? - #2 by UA2009

1 Like

KSU is getting a lot of play these days. Our private high school has several kids going there. It is a strong engineering school - my Georgia Tech son is interning in Atlanta at a large, multistate company with an engineering student from KSU. I know you have mentioned this as well, but Georgia Tech may help get you in the door but when you are there engineers (and CS) will be working with people from all sorts of schools. For engineering KSU is top 3 in the state I would think. It acquired Southern Polytechnic Institute in 2015. The one hitch about KSU is there are two campuses about 10 minutes apart, and you have to live on the one where your major is located I think. There are buses all day in between the two, so probably not much different than going to a large landmass school like UGA.

No specific info about their CS program or game theory but I do think as an in state option it should be considered for sure. It should be a safety.

2 Likes

RHIT = Rose-Human Institute of Technology, a small (2000 enrollment), top ranked engineering college in Indiana.

RIT = Rochester Institute of Technology, a larger (19,000 enrollment), private, research university in upstate New York, with a well regarded engineering program.

3 Likes

Just found out WPI is going text-blind starting application for Fall 2022. They no longer review SAT/ACT scores.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.