Reality check: What's it actually like at ____ now that your kid is enrolled ?

jadedhaven

Regarding “My youngest son is a music major (bassoon) and has so far been accepted to UNT, University of Houston, SMU and University of Texas (Austin). Would truly appreciate any insight into the latter three schools.”

My son applied and was accepted at a similar set of schools. However after speaking with a number of Texas high school band directors, he chose to attend Texas A&M Commerce for Music Ed. Unlike many schools, TAMUC school of music focuses on the Music ed folks. Most (~90%) of the students are music ed, and so pretty much everything from marching band to ensembles is focused on developing educators. This is not to say they do not develop performance skills because they have many great chances to perform as well.

If your son is interested in Music Ed, I suggest you give TAMUC a visit.

The negative, if your son does not like small towns, is its Commerce. My son could care less as its close enough to DFW to go see performances. My other son is at UH (Biology major), and would never tolerate Commerce.

eliandi,

Thanks for your perspective. My son is planning a path as a music performance major, while he loved his band years and wonderful directors, teaching isn’t in his wheelhouse. We know several students who’re attending Abilene Christian University as music education majors - they seem to be excelling and like the program.

@jadedhaven I sent you a PM :slight_smile:

D is junior VP major at Northwestern/Bienen.

PROS:
Many performance opportunities for undergrads in VP (operas, chorus, solo work, orchestral, non-departmental MT shows, a cappella,).

Great pianos and soundproof practice rooms. Good accompanists and stellar coaches.

High caliber classes (theory, music history, conducting,…)

Chicago music scene -cheap Lyric and CSO tickets! Also great for attending live local auditions without a lot of travel $ since many programs come to Chicago.

CONS:
THE TRIMESTER! Killer for summer programs or internships. They end late in June and MANY summer programs start in May.

No live-streaming of concerts.

Long hours in ensemble rehearsals on weekends (but this is not school specific)

Chicago winters. Especially this one.

Anyone have any experience with Oberlin? I was supposed to be able to visit, but plans fell through because I didn’t have the money.

Should have said collaborative pianists, not accompanists. Apologies!!! Too late to edit. :frowning:

oboeboy1917, I know something about Oberlin. I have a 3rd year violin major there and he loves it. I know one of the oboe players there, an Artists Diploma student just got an amazing orchestra position and there was another oboe Artist Diploma student who got an terrific orch. position fairly recently. What questions can I answer? We have spent a lot of time there and plus I know something about the school as my sister went there a while ago.

@cellocompmom Is there an insane party culture? I’m definitely apprehensive to attend a college with an unavoidable party culture due to my phobia of alcohol. I’ve tried working on it, and it’s manageable, but I’d like to avoid being uncomfortable for most of my collegiate career. Also, is it difficult to get into ensembles at Oberlin, or are there enough opportunities? Thanks so much!!!

oboeboy1917 My son is not a party kid at all and found a group of friends who do not party. Most of the Con students spend a lot time going to concerts. I worried more about pot than alcohol there when he went but I think the Con. kids tend to party less and there are many there that do not party at all. My kid tells me that parties happen off campus not in dorms. My impression is that you can be you at Oberlin and it is all ok. I do not know about the wind playing situation as my kid is a string player and plays all of the time but I think if you ask them they would tell you honestly. I am pretty certain Oberlin does not have a band and I also do not think they have a wind ensemble but I might be wrong about that but I do know that all players rotate between the Symp. Orch, Chamber Orch., Opera Pits and Cont. Ensemble. I think Oberlin is amazing. I also think it is not for everyone. It is very liberal and is in the middle of nowhere which I think provides less distractions. There are also amazing opportunities that arise there and the environment is nurturing. The practice rooms are amazing and overlooking at Koi pond and they all have windows. They also have an terrific Winter Term where you can explore what interests you. If you are thinking of going there I really would visit…

@cellocompmom Thanks for your response! I’ll keep all of that in mind. I had heard that Oberlin was a bit of a party school, but that may not be a Con problem from what you’ve told me. If I’m accepted and given enough financial aid, I’ll definitely consider visiting! Thanks again!

Can anyone share experience at Eastman or Ithaca?

akapiratequeen, I know a lot about Eastman and Ithaca. Sent you a pm.

My daughter is a sophomore clarinet music education major at Ithaca. I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have…

@songbirdmama , is there a difference between a collaborative pianist and an accompanist? Or is collaborative pianist just the preferred term?

@vistajay They’re two terms to describe the same thing; some pianists prefer “collaborative pianist” due to the supposed negative connotation of “accompanist.”

@vistajay - you start as an accompanist and then become a collaborative pianist if you are good. My D’s grad school had a very good collaborative piano program where students specialize in this. At my D’s YAP, the collaborative pianist had a lot of responsibilities from working with/coaching each singer on their pieces to putting together their final performance. My D knew her from college so they actually worked together on the final performance as my D had more performance experience and strong opinions about how the performance should flow. My D talked to me a LOT about this aspect of the YAP which she really loved. My D also has a friend from UG who also went the collaborative piano route in grad school and works with an opera company now working WITH the singers in preparing for roles. He doesn’t simply play for them…he works “with” them on their pieces. I’m not an expert on this of course…but this is what I understand about it.

@bridgenail , based upon your description, my S18 vocalist is definitely working with a collaborative pianist, so I should start using the correct term! She is an older, very experienced pianist and is wonderful. She is definitely another “coach” to him, and gives him all kind of advice and direction during their practice sessions. She also comes and plays during his individual lessons with his voice teacher, so he gets a lot of value for the modest stipend he pays her each month. S18 is thrilled he gets to work with her for all four years!

@vistajay - yes, this was a surprise to me as well…the role of the pianist in my D’s development. It is not simply the once a week lesson with the teacher…it is the work during the week with the pianist (and later most likely a coach too). As you can see in your S’s case, she isn’t simply “accompanying” him…she is helping him develop his voice. So yes she would be considered a collaborative pianist…imo.

I am curious about experiences with students who have gone to Berklee, Frost, or Belmont for songwriting or vocal performance. These are my son’s top choices. If you don’t feel comfortable posting please DM me.

just an insane pot culture haha