Really urgent question regarding college application (particularily UC's)

Hi All,
I bumped into a huge problem as I started working on my UC (and other) college application.

Problem: I am applying for Computer Science major. I heard over and over again that students should pick classes that are related or somewhat related to intended major to show YOUR INTEREST. Here I am, didn’t know I want to become a CompSci Major until now, the summer before my senior year. What should and what can I do to turn this PROBLEM into a NO PROBLEM, and perhaps even a PLUS for me as an applicant?

Classes I took :

1. AP environmental Science, AP Human Geography, AP Statstics => totally unrelated to CompSci/Engineering
  2. Honors Geometry,Honors ALG 2, BUT REGULAR PRECALCULUS. => I DROPPED OUT FROM HONORS PRECALC BECAUSE IT WAS TOO HARD FOR ME. Math should be important for CS major. omg this is A BIG PROBLEM

p.s. UC application has “additional comment” section that allows you to explain any circumstances that might had affected your academic achievement (such as leaving high school for a year due to mental illness…etc). Should I write about my problem here? if so, what should I say?

Well, I wouldn’t use space to tell them H precalc was too tough for you.

What makes you interested in CS? What shows them the interest is genuine and you’re prepared? I know the latter is your worry. But think about it.

@lookingforward Great advice, thanks! Do you happen to know a way I can solve the “dropping out from H precalc PROBELM”. I can’t sleep because of this. Also, I plan to talk about my interest in CS in one of the 4 prompts for personal statement - is this sufficient? (All my e/c are not related to CS, except robotics)

Robotics is good. The point is for them to see you’re ready, not just telling them you think you’re “interested.” Maybe @ucbalumnus will chime in. He knows the UC situation well.

I’m not sure you need to point out H was a problem. Taking calc this fall?

@lookingforward @ucbalumnus taking AP Calculus this fall (senior year). I didn’t mention this, but I received B+ and A- in honors algebra 2 (sophomore year). Then I dropped out from honors and take reg precalc (junior year). Thus, this makes me appear as if I chickened out and I am afraid to take on challenge – which is true. but my school is really competitive and I was sure I would receive C- if I were to take H precalc.

HELP ME

I’ve got my parent hat on, sorry, but assuming they’ll think you “chickened out” is an emotional response. Be rational. Take AP calc and do well. Get the help you need on this, if you stumble, maybe start prepping now. Be that sort. Do what you can, rather than losing sleep over a simple drop back to regular precalc. Did you get an A in that?

@lookingforward Yes, A in both semesters Reg Precalc. From what I understand, this H problem isn’t really that big of a deal since I am taking AP Calc next year? Sorry for keep bombarding you with questions ! Thanks a lot though!

As for ‘turning the problem into a plus’, you may be in luck. Given the increasingly powerful prograpping and app development suites out there, more and more CS work is concerned with the ‘human’ side of the industry. Interface design, social impact, utility, and so on. Environmental Science and human geography could possibly be leveraged that way: how did your past studies inform you about what better CS tools need to exist for those fields, or perhaps how your understanding of fields like those might help you understand users’ needs better. In those fields, for instance, stats are just as important for policy making as calc is. Would having better software for City Managers or Environmental Scientists be a possible goal?

Taking calculus this year should be fine.

Have you taken physics? If not, do so, since CS majors may require physics in college, which has high school physics as a prerequisite.

If your high school offers a CS course, you may want to take it. An AP CS principles course may be the best introduction if you do not have much CS experience.

Be aware that CS is a more selective major at many UCs and other schools. Apply more widely.

I think that if you do well in AP Calculus, it won’t matter which Pre-Calc you took. To make sure you do well, I advise doing what one of my son’s did to prepare: buy Princeton Review for AP Calculus and complete as many of the lessons as possible before school starts. This requires an hour or two of work each day.

I agree with @ucbalumnus that you should apply widely, since CS has become much more difficult to get into in the last couple of years. You will be competing for the major with kids who discovered their interest in programming when they were in elementary school.

@ucbalumnus @BunnyBlue Both of you talked about how I should apply widely. Could you elaborate on what “apply widely” means? Like, apply for other majors or apply for more UC’s ? sorry I’m confused.

@ProfessorD thanks for the advice. Just to clarify, are you suggesting I write about how my goal in becoming a computer scientist made me took classes like statistics, env science, and human geography in my UC personal statement? (there is a prompt about your favorite subject and how you developed the interest in the subject)

It might be a way to link your academic record to your newfound interest. But only include it if you think you can sincerely see some relationship between them. Don’t just shoehorn it in if you don’t think it’s actually true in your case.

@“Professor D” There has been somewhat a relationship between them in my case. My main concern now is I’m not sure if I could convey this in a good way in my personal statement since each prompt is limited to only 350 words.

I would suggest you STOP thinking about explaining your shortcomings (from your POV) in your personal,statements and start talking about your strengths.

You can read my past post…this isn’t a secret. Miraculously, my DD managed to get acceoted to college, and graduate with a double degree in Engineering and Biology without EVER taking calculus in HS. She took calculus in college.

Applying widely for CS means, you need to have 1-2 safety schools, 3-4 match schools and a few reach schools on your list. Safeties and Match schools will dependent upon your UC GPA and test scores. If you are ELC eligible at your HS or statewide, you are guaranteed admission to a UC (not your choice, usually UCM) which would give a safety. If you apply to all the other UC’s and maybe a few Cal states, then you should have a good range of schools. Again all depends upon your stats and EC’s.
Use the link below to see how you compare for each UC. Just be aware the CS is very competitive, so you need above the averages in stats for a good chance.

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/freshman-admissions-summary

^^ Like Gumbymom says.

Applying under a CS major without CS activities is going to be very difficult. Even if you don’t have a CS class from high school under your belt, your best bet is to do well in Math – AP Calc AB or BC and SAT Math II are going to be what college look at.

You can also discuss your interest in CS that you gained in the summer in the UC Essays – more specifically, UC #6. Here’s a guide about how to answer the new UC short response essays:
https://winningivyprep.com/2016-17-uc-personal-insight-essays-guide/