Reason for Late Deadline?

<p>Just wondering why UW Madison's application deadline seems so much further back than other schools. (Feb. 1st postmarked)</p>

<p>The other schools I've applied to have deadlines all around the early Dec. to mid Dec.</p>

<p>I'm currently finishing up my app for Madison. I still have one essay left and one more recommendation. </p>

<p>It seems like everyone on here has applied and received some sort of decision already, so I was just wondering if applyig at around this time hurts me at all.</p>

<p>Also, what if they review your application and make a decision before your letters of recs are received by them? I still have to give a teacher one more rec., and am worried that it will take too long for them to receive it. I feel like if they receive everything but your recommendations, they'll think that they have received everything from that applicant and make a decision without looking at the recs. </p>

<p>Just curious and thanks.</p>

<p>Public schools often have rolling admissions and do try to accomodate their state students. There is full consideration right up to the finish line. Some of the best students apply to schools early decision/action et al and apply to their instate as a safety only after finding out the results of that. Some easy to get into schools close admissions late in the spring, or even summer. Some students have been postponed as UW is waiting to decide if they will have room for them after everyone gets a chance to apply by the deadline.</p>

<p>You are only seeing information from those who post here, on CC, most UW students don’t bother with this website based on numbers of posters compared to the numbers of students/applicants.</p>

<p>Harvard is January 1. Yale Dec 31. So the top schools are not early or mid december</p>

<p>OK thanks for the input.</p>

<p>But does anyone know how long the admissions staff waits to see if they receive any recs from an applicant?</p>

<p>It feels like if I turn my app in now (I’m really close) there will be too much of a gap between them getting my application and the recs. Should I worry about this at all? I just gave my last rec to a teacher early this week.</p>

<p>I would wait until you know the last rec is mailed. It does seem that those who didn’t have any recs still got their decision relatively quick. So yeah, I don’t know how they know whether or not there are recs still coming since they ask for them but they aren’t required.</p>

<p>Though if your recs are coming from the high school at the same time as your transcript then they can’t make a decision until it’s all there.</p>