Rec letters

My daughter is in Top quarter and completed everything and her Application status shows as “complete and In Review”.
Does she have to send the Rec Letters? I just wanted to confirm. She is a review admit

@DD1000 Rec Letters are something that isn’t required by the university. However I strongly recommend that u get both of them turned in as it really helps out the application process especially if your daughter is a review admit and has to go through the holistic review process

@DD1000 : Letters of Recommendation may not be required, but since your daughter is a TAMU Review applicant, I highly recommend that y’all do everything possible to maximize her chance to be offered full admissions. That way you won’t have any thoughts of “what if” or “woulda, coulda, shoulda”, if she receives anything less than a full admissions offer.

I agree that a recommendation from a place of employment and or from an EC adviser who knows your daughter and can speak to her work ethic, intelligence, problem solving, social maturity, time management skills, overcoming an obstacle, tenacity, resilience, etc. would be best. Someone who is also a college graduate from TAMU or someone who works in her projected major would also be great.

My youngest daughter, HS class of 2017, was 53% in her HS class (an extremely competitive and highly ranked suburban TX 6A school), with a 3.5 unweighted gpa, 4.7 weighted gpa, SAT 1250 (English 670/Math 580), ACT 27 (English component above 30), one EC for 4 years with no leadership role, and she was also on competitive team outside of school (close to 30 hours of weekly participation during the weekends and 2-3 evenings a week, plus competitions and travel time), with NO VOLUNTEERING due to having absolutely no extra time, LOL. She was eligible for National Honor Society but did not join as she did not think that she would have time to fulfill the required volunteer hours. She had one English Dual Credit class, did not take AP tests.

We also had her visit TAMU on a regular class day, signed up for an official campus tour, scheduled a meeting with an adviser in her major, and arranged for her to sit in on a class. Perhaps this showed extra interest in TAMU. We did not know about the ACT on TAMU campus but would have had her take it if we had known.

She had 2 fantastic LORs written by HS teachers from her Junior year, one Aggie (Chemistry) one Longhorn (AP English) and I really think that these LORs were what allowed her to be offered Blinn-TEAM instead of PSA or rejection, since her class rank was so low. My daughter excelled in their classes and they really liked her. Blinn-TEAM turned out to be a great offer for her, she is now a very happy Aggie in her second year of Blinn-TEAM.

Since your daughter is a Review Applicant, just “dot all of the I’s and cross all of the T’s” so that you have done all that you can to maximize her chances.

Good luck, keep us posted! :slight_smile: