Recognition for People, Companies, Groups for Disaster Relief

<p>I thought I’d make a thread where people could post about people, churches, temples, companies, etc who are making a difference (large or small) for disaster relief after The Tornadoes.</p>

<p>===============================================</p>

<p>When I was in Brighton Collectibles yesterday, I asked the manager (who I know) how her employees were after The Tornadoes. She told me that one lost her home. Then she told me how the owner of BC (Jerry Kohl) and some staff flew out from Calif to see the damage, Jerry gave this victim/employee a large check, and then made a large donation to the Red Cross efforts in the state. </p>

<p>I have been lucky enough to tour Brighton Collectibles factory in Industry Hills, CA (they don’t usually do customer tours). The amazing thing is how much the employees feel loved there. So, while it impressed me, it didn’t surprise me that Jerry Kohl would do this for an employee and for the damaged region. </p>

<p>==========================================</p>

<p>The Women’s Club at our church, St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Madison, Alabama holds an annual rummage sale. This year, the event was supposed to be the Saturday after The Tornadoes, but was postponed til a week ago. The proceeds (which were substantial) are going to disaster relief.</p>

<p>============================================</p>

<p>The students at St. John’s School had a bake sale during the Rummage Sale and gave the money for disaster relief. While their donation may not have been huge, it’s good for young ones to put their time/efforts towards those who are in need. </p>

<p>============================================</p>

<p>At the request of Bishop Baker, the Catholic Churches in the Birmingham Diocese (which includes the upper half of Alabama) had a second collection at last weekend’s Masses. That certainly raised significant money. </p>

<p>================================================</p>

<p>I’m sure many of you know of stories…large and small…so share… :)</p>

<p>We volunteer with Heart to Heart International here in KC. They do a lot of disaster relief overseas, sending medical kits, and school kits for children in developing countries.</p>

<p>This weekend they are doing drives out in front of Sam’s Club, and will put supplies right on to Fed Ex trucks to send down to Alabama.</p>

<p>SO…kudos to Heart to Heart International, Sam’s Club, and Fed Ex:)</p>

<p>My daughter asked her home church, First Baptist Madisonville, KY, to sponsor her and 10 others on a mission trip to Al. They have been housed at Central Park Baptist in Bessemer since Sunday, and are working in Pleasant Grove assisting with debris removal. The group consists of students from Western Ky Univ, Murray State, U of KY,and of course Alabama. 2 friends from Bama joined them there, and brought a student friend from UGa.</p>

<p>They took 2 trailers of donations including diapers, flashlights, toiletries, back packs, etc. All this was raised in 1 week, along with several thousands of dollars in cash donations and church support. </p>

<p>They will return home on Saturday, and I am anxious to hear about the week. I’ve had very little contact.</p>

<p>There is still so much to do across the state.</p>

<p>Story about how Chase is helping tornado victims…</p>

<p>[JPMorgan</a> Chase and NY Giants’ Justin Tuck Donate $275,000 to Help Alabama Residents Impacted by Devastating Tornadoes](<a href=“http://investor.shareholder.com/jpmorganchase/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=575797]JPMorgan”>http://investor.shareholder.com/jpmorganchase/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=575797)</p>

<p>Before I went down to move my son off campus my friends helped in the following ways: they donated diapers, baby wipes and clothing. They collected some money and gave it to me, we were able to purchase non-perishable food items, water and juice boxes. We were able to completely fill up a Chevy Suburban with donation items and left some behind. However, i connected with a woman in New York who has been shipping supplies to Alabama and will be able to add to her next truck. Kudos to this very determined lady.</p>

<p>I also cleared out my basement and gave these items to St. Francis (on campus). They are no longer accepting donations due to space issues but there are many other collection sites open. </p>

<p>A special thanks to everyone who is helping.</p>