Recommended Colleges for students with ADHD

This UConn study looks fascinating. Would love to find out what the status of the study is and if any papers or other studies have been published. So happy someone is looking into this issue.

2 Likes

I recognize the impact that ADD can have on an individual’s functioning and I know how tough it can be and that having ADD is completely unrelated to intelligence. It seems like these kind of supports are very important and helpful in college. I recognize that it’s important to have these resources available.

Here’s a serious question. (I once tried to ask a friend of mine who has two children with ADD who, from elementary school through college, got extensive extra supports. But she got angry at me for asking.)

After college graduation, how do individuals with ADD fare? Can they get extra support in med school, law school, PhD programs? How do they fare in the workplace? Or does the ADD “calm down” as they get older? Or is it just academic environments that bring out the ADD issues?

I am in no way saying they should not get support – I get that the support levels the playing field for them. But how is an adult to continue gathering up appropriate supports post-graduation?

I can tell you that, for my kids who have executive function deficits, the supports they receive are not generally crutches, but training in how to build systems to make up for/help them deal with executive functioning deficits. There are a few things (like extra time on tests) that are not training, but they are less relevant in the real world. Over time they learn how to use these systems on their own and don’t need the support as much. But even if they do need support as an adult there are now adult “executive function coaches“ who can help. If you have a job, hopefully you can afford to pay them.

5 Likes

I think there are things that are unique to a class environment and school that are challenges with ADHD aren’t necessarily typical in post graduation life.

I don’t know about graduate and professional school, but generally courses are more specialized to a student’s interest the higher one goes in education and interest level can help compensate for difficulties with attention.

Also, the kinds of accommodations that are available in college should be available in graduate and professional school because of the law that covers them, which is different from the kinds of accommodations offered K-12.

In life I would expect to some degree that individuals would pursue careers in areas where their strengths are. I think that is probably true for people with ADHD.

2 Likes

That makes sense. Thank you. I guess additional training is always available at any time of life.

In addition to training, I think opportunities present themselves that challenge people to develop skills they need to be successful in areas that are very important to them. One of my kids had a large section of wall with post-it’s organized into a system that worked for her. She also had multiple planners for back up reminders of things to do.

1 Like

I have two high IQ/ADHD kids who were diagnosed very early. One, like yours, is a STEM kid (though mine also had some social issues in school). He did very well in HS while taking a rigorous courseload (AP Chem, Physics, Biology, BC Calc and Econ, with STEM electives like Microbiology/Genetics). When applying to colleges we did not focus on programs that were expressly ADHD friendly, but he did choose a school, Case Western, because it generally provides a lot of student support, like tutoring, counseling, etc., over more highly ranked schools that have a reputation for not being student friendly.

If you haven’t already, I would recommend getting your son help with his executive functioning. We worked hard with our son on keeping a calendar, establishing routines, planning difficult tasks for when his meds were helping, etc. These skills will help him for both college and the work world. In junior high and high school our son worked with a counselor, mainly for social issues, but he also helped my son understand how ADHD affects him, and provided coaching on how to stay on task.

You are not alone. There are many students with some kind of mental difference, especially in STEM fields. (My wife and I joke about the Electrical Engineer who is awkward at the office party or the math savant who can’t remember where her keys are.) The key is learning to adapt.

It has been quite the odyssey. Feel free to message me if you want to discuss further.

3 Likes

My child with ADHD and Dyslexia is a sophomore thriving at Purdue. The Disability Resource Center has been amazing, easy, and wonderful to work with from the moment he was accepted. The Purdue acceptance letter even included info on contacting them, which really showed how the school values those needing assistance. Not a single issue or comment from the teachers or TAs on accommodating his needs. Cannot recommend them enough for STEM with learning disabilities.

6 Likes

ADHD tutoring can be a great way to help a student with ADHD learn the strategies they need to succeed. A tutor can work with the student to find ways to break down complex tasks into smaller pieces, set realistic goals, build positive habits, and find ways to stay focused. An ADHD tutor can also provide moral support and guidance as the student navigates the challenges of college life. Some schools have dedicated tutoring programs that specialize in helping students with ADHD, while others offer specialized services or referrals to local tutoring companies. Seeking out local resources, such as ADHD support groups or student organizations, can also be a good way to find help and support.

Thoughts on which is preferable for kids with ADHD and EF issues: quarter or semester system?

Though my son is doing well at Case, my wife and I were planning to talk with him about getting support from the university for his ADHD.