Recommended laptop

<p>What is the consensus on laptop requirements and platforms? Windows or Mac? Specifications? We want to get D something for HS graduation, but need a starting point. She is CBH and Chem/Bio engineering. Thanks!</p>

<p>Won’t your D get an iPad for being a NMF? Which type of computer works with that?</p>

<p>My D was NMF last year and they got the Dell Latitude computer. It is plenty powerful for her as an EE major and CBH student.</p>

<p>What does your D prefer? A Macbook Pro or something Windows based?</p>

<p>We’ve never really had a Mac before, but she is getting the iPad that Cuttlefish mentioned, so I was wondering if it would be best to stay all Mac. From what I’ve seen, the Macs cost quite a bit more. If it truly doesn’t matter, I would probably stay with Windows.</p>

<p>There are some advantages with staying with Windows. My older son wanted a Macbook Pro and we got him one, but we also had to do all these extra things so he could still do Windows things. We had to have his hard-drive split and now half is Windows and have is whatever Mac is. </p>

<p>I have an iPad and windows-based laptops, and I think that works well.</p>

<p>I have a Macbook Pro and I did not split the OS, I just have the “MAC” Versions of Microsoft Programs, that might be all you need.</p>

<p>You can get all the Adobe creative software (photoshop, indesign, fireworks, etc) and Microsoft Office on a Mac. There’s gonna be software for everything and Bama is very Mac-friendly.</p>

<p>I can’t remember why we had to split our son’s hard-drive. It may be because of MatLab???</p>

<p>We are an apple family across the board. DH has a desk top apple (ok so have to admit I don’t know the lingo) but I have a Mac book…DD 1 had a Mac book pro as well as DD #2 and DS…DD#3 at Bama has a Mac book Pro and anew ipad 3 (after having ipad 20…the rest of us have ipad2’s as well except DD#1…she has the new 3 but it is through her job. When DD arrived at Bama , fall 2010…it was not nearly as Mac friendly as it it now. Even with spy ware…I beleive , according to DH that any type of apple/Mac computer is the best choice…</p>

<p>NMSFdad - Be careful with the Mac. Many of the CAD/CAM packages are are windows only (hence the reference to splitting the hard drive). Another thing to remember is that some high level CAD/CAM apps require a 64 bit OS. I know this from work, not sure if anything they need from school would require that.</p>

<p>My main tech from work suggests (at a minimum):

• I5 processor (I7 if you can justify the $$)
  • Video card with at least 1 Gig on it
  • 6 Gig Ram
  • 64 bit OS</p>

<p>Of course there are a thousand other options but those are the main things he suggested we look for.</p>