Recommended Residence Halls?

Hi! I’ll be attending Geneseo this coming fall, and I was just wondering if you had any advice or tips in regards to the residence halls. Also, would you recommend the suite style dorm or the corridor style? I’m leaning more towards the suite style, but I know they are typically located further away from the center of campus. Are they the same level of quality as the corridor dorms? Any advice and/or tips would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

I’ll be going to Geneseo next year and I already did my research and submitted the survey.
I asked several current students and they all told me to live on south side (Onondaga, Suffolk, Niagara, Wayne (Dante), and Nassau), where the vast majority of freshmen live. Some of these are ‘freshman experience’ dorms, which are strictly freshman. I chose the freshman experience dorms (Niagara, Onondaga, Suffolk) as my first choice because getting to know people in college is huge and living in those dorms will make it easiest. Nassau is arts-centered, so I’d go for that if I wanted to major in arts. Wayne is small and a mix of international students, honors students, and some other random freshmen. Personally, I like suite style but that’s a personal preference. I couldn’t choose one dorm over another in the survey- just a preference for the style- so you shouldn’t have to worry about differences between specific dorms. Also, in terms of location, all south side dorms are in the same place.
On suite v corridor: suites have a common living room and bathroom (plus) and a group of 4-8 people in a room rather than 2 (I like this). corridor style is supposed to make it easier to meet people, but I’m just better at socializing in a suite style environment. Its really all personal preference and, no one style is definitively better. Good luck breh, see you on campus next year

Coming from a current sophomore, don’t expect luxury when living anywhere on Southside (Dada, Suffolk, Niagara, Suffolk, Wayne). Those buildings are significantly older than those on Northside, they require a greater deal of walking to get to your classes or to visit the union or mailroom, etc. The one positive is that you are essentially living with all freshman so you have the joint new experience.

Nassau may be “arts-centered” but you would never know from living there, Wayne may have a mix of “int. students, honors, etc” but that won’t even be a factor once you get there. Those just seem to be the labels that the school would like to give those buildings, when in reality those distinctions make almost no difference seeing as anyone can apply to live in those buildings.

The buildings on Northside are much more modern and clean, I lived on Northside for the first two years that I have been here. Some of the newer buildings (Seneca, Putnam, Monroe) have an almost sterile and hospital-esque feel to them, it you’re looking for the traditional college living situation, those are not the buildings. for you to live.

I would absolutely recommend living suite-style, living with so many other people, whether it be a 6 or even 8 person suite, will take a significant amount of the pressure off for you to bond with your roommate if you were living in a typical corridor-style arrangement. Living with those other people helps you establish a friend group at a much faster pace, it is more interesting, you have more variety. Maybe it can be a little more difficult to get work done but it is absolutely worth it for the group bond that you’ll form with those people.

If you live in a corridor-style room and you don’t like your roommate, well then you’re stuck for the year. But if you don’t like your roommate and you’re living in a suite well then it just becomes a lot easier to handle.