Record enhancements and path to Medical School

Hello Everyone,

I need your advice on how to get into med school. Here’s a little about me;
I’m a research assistant at a very well known university in Texas. I have a Master’s degree in pharmaceutical science, and I would like to apply to medical school. I have extensive research experience and seven published papers.
My undergraduate GPA is 3.4, and my graduate GPA is 3.7. I struggled during my freshman and sophomore years due to the language barrier. But I learned English within a year, and ever since, my grades have improved tremendously. I have been out of school for almost five years now ( I’m 28 years old ), and I know it’s not going to be easy to go back to school again. I realize that my stats aren’t the best, and I haven’t taken the MCAT yet. I am willing to do whatever it takes to better my chances. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

I did my research, and I came across SMP and post-bac programs. I think these two options are the way to go in my case?. What do you think?

@WayOutWestMom can you explain the difference between these options to this poster?

@texaspg can you discuss medical schools in Texas?

Some basics first–

What is your science GPA. Only biology, chemistry, physics and mathematics classes. sGPA does not include graduate coursework.

You’ll need a sGPA of 3.4+ for osteopathic medical schools and sGPA 3.65+ for allopathic medical schools.

BTW, nearly all med schools require that you have UL science coursework taken within 5 years of application as proof that you can perform at the high academic level required for med school success.

A post bacc can be either a formal program or done independently. The purpose of a post-bacc is to raise one's sGPA by taking upper level undergrad science classes. A formal program is structured, full time and offers things like MCAT prep, research & volunteering opportunities and application advising. Formal post baccs can be expensive.

An do-it-yourself post bacc requires you to enroll as student at a local 4 year college (degree-seeking or non degree-seeking) and to take enough classes to raise your sGPA. This can be done part time. You will need to seek out volunteering, research, and advising on your own.

A SMP (Special Master's Program) is a specific type of formal post-bacc. It is a 1-2 year program that simulates the difficulty of the first year of medical school. At some programs, SMP students will take the same classes along side first med students and are graded on the same scales as the med students. 

A SMP is high risk-high reward option. 
High reward because some program guarantee an admission interview with the associated medical school to student who meet specific benchmarks (typical GPA>3.75 in the program and are top 15-25% of the class). 
High risk because if you don't meet those academic benchmarks, then your chances for an admission to ANY medical school are virtually nonexistent.

Applying to SMPs is very similar to applying to medical school. You need a sGPA within range for the program (typically 3.2+), a MCAT score >500, LORs from science and non-science professors who have taught you in class, And the appropriate pre-med ECs (Community service w/ the disadvantaged, direct patient contact clinical experience, physician shadowing, leadership positions in your activities and clinical or laboratory research).

Thank you so much for your response.

My sGPA is 3.2. Not good at all but I am willing to take upper-level science classes to improve it.

Since my science classes are definitely over 5 years old, I think my best option is to take the independent post-bacc route.

Any idea if working as a part time MA can help?

I just wanted to point out that It’s very doable for me to shadow doctors. I have connections with a lot of doctors here in Texas (I work at Baylor).

I was looking at John Hopkin’s post bacc program, the tuitions are ridiculously hight but they have affiliations with multiple med schools as well as volunteer and research opportunities and MCAT prep. Sounds really good to me! I also liked Upenn’s post bacc program. sounds promising as well. But I don’t really know if these types of programs worth moving to a new state and piling up student debts.

UNTHSC has a special master’s program but to be honest, I didn’t like the curriculum and I am not interested in DO.

Overall, I am not interested in SMP anymore after knowing it’s a high-risk reward program.

Why? DOs can do anything that an MD can do. Training is the same. Residency match is now fully merged.

UNTHSC had a excellent match list this year–with multiple matches into competitive specialties, including matches in ENT, ortho and derm. And the price is a bargain for TX residents.

As @thumper1 said, DOs can do everything that MDs do. The only educational difference between MD and DO is DOs have to take OMM classes.

One thing to keep in mind–beggars can’t be choosers…If you want to be a doctor, you want to be doctor. The letters after your name really don’t matter. Not to other physicians, not to patients. Both my daughters are physicians and every day they work with physician teams that include MDs, DOs and DPMs.

Working as a MA will give you plenty of clinical exposure--which med school applicants need.

Formal post baccs offer no guarantees. The vast major of those enrolled still don’t get a med school acceptance. Whether it’s a risk worth taking is something only you can decide.

BTW, Both the JHU and UPenn post baccs w/ affiliated med schools admission are for career changers. Career changers are only for those who have NOT taken any or not taken most of their med school pre-reqs. Since you have a science degree AND a graduate pharmaceutical science degree you are NOT eligible for either program.

@PinkLemonaid

AMCAS has a searchable database of post baccs–
https://apps.aamc.org/postbac/#/index

Select graduate as the level and record enhancer as the type.

One more thing—

While MD programs will not include graduate coursework in GPA calculations, DO programs will.

ACOMAS GPA calculator here:
https://help.liaisonedu.com/AACOMAS_Applicant_Help_Center/Submitting_and_Monitoring_Your_AACOMAS_Application/Verification_and_GPA_Calculations_for_AACOMAS/3_Calculating_Your_GPAs

Your sGPA may be higher than 3.2 for DO programs.

This means that if you have a decent MCAT and the right ECs, you may be able to apply to med school sooner rather than later.