Recruited athlete confusion

Coaches can respond if the child initiates. For example our son continued to send short training videos and then some pre-season highlights. He heard back. But he’d been actively recruited, played on a high level travel team, etc. Every boarding school differs but ideally a recruited athlete can contribute as a two sport varsity athlete-they have to have the grades so this can help put them in favor with admissions.

We definitely discussed role, playing time, etc. for our repeat junior on revisits. But if they’re recruiting you as an incoming junior they generally have a role in mind. That said one coach said out of 15 recruits he only got in 2–and lax was one of these kids second sport. Our son showed up to his school and didn’t play a fall sport but was automatically included in captains practices, team training, off season unofficial league, etc.

I will say coming in as a 2025 the college recruiting could be a bit tricky. Some schools and even teachers are better than others about allowing kids to leave campus for club sports, making up work, etc. They’re not sports academies so be sure to ask those questions (especially at the ones known to be high pressure academically) since if she wants to play in college that’s a lot to juggle away by herself, away from home and throw in high pressure academics depending on the school.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

You’d continue to play tournaments with your club team in the fall. If you’re close enough you’d train with them in the fall too. If not and you’re a recruited athlete you’ll be included in captains practices, pick up games, etc. but you’d also probably be required to play a team sport for your school in the fall too unless you come in as a senior or PG. It’s a great way to integrate yourself into the school community.

1 Like

Although the thread is focused on lacrosse, I thought I would share my daughter’s experience since I know others might appreciate the information. She was a recruited tennis player, at her peak, top 50 nationally for her hs graduation year. She applied to boarding school for 9th grade.
She communicated with coaches at every school she applied to mostly over zoom but some only via email, but after she submitted her application, she didn’t hear much further. When she went to revisit days, she was paired with students from the team, and the coaches sought her out. She had the option to observe the practices. She hit with a few players from the team in the fall and winter. A team member specifically invited her to the open tryouts. During tryouts, she was assigned to hit with the girls that were already on the team. The girls that were on the team the previous year did not have to try out, but they were present.
So even though she had to try out with everyone else, it was clear that she would take one of the 3 spots available on the team.

7 Likes

Did she get in to all of the schools she applied to

1 Like

No, not at all. She applied to 11, all top schools, got into 4. Financial aid may have been a factor since she was offered financial aid which covered 85%-95% of tuition at the ones she received offers from. I’m a single mom with no outside financial support, and I make about $120k.

7 Likes

you play with your club team in the summer. The best athletes are mutli sport so you play another sport or condition in the fall and winter. My girls did club lax, field hockey, basketball and then lacrosse in the spring season.