Reed Class of 2027 Official Thread

I think so - although I’m basing this on what my son showed me on his laptop and the screenshot of what looks like a portal above. I know he got an email.

are decisions out?

Did anyone get in.
My son is waitlisted.

I haven’t received my decision yet.
would u mind sharing what the portal looks like, im very confused

I don’t know about any portal, or any letter in the mail.

Just got an email sent early this morning: waitlist.

“Adversity’s sweet milk, philosophy, to comfort thee, though thou art banished.” -Shakespeare
“Each man has only one destiny.” -Mario Puzo

Waitlisted too. I read that Reed did not accept many students off the waitlist in 2022. Hope that is not the case this year. Very disappointing. This has definitely been a competitive year!! Anyone else considering going to Whitman, Lewis and Clark or Willamette. Going to visit these schools in a week. Curious if others have visited, or considering these schools.

They seem to offer a lot of people WL and then about 20% take their offer with 70+ people being offered admissions. This was in the common set data for last year, if I remember correctly. D would really love the PNW, we’re in the Bay Area. She was WL at Reed and I completely understand it bc she started out with high interest, attending the local event, chatting with the AO who actually knows about her tiny private school, and interviewed. All her teachers recommended Reed as the perfect fit. She had a great essay but by the time the supp essay should have been turned in they gave the option of turning in later. The later turned out to be in March - D was completely tried of applications, and turning in that late is really not a good sign so we expected rejection.

Willamette gave really good merit, great merch in the mail. I really like the school from what I’ve read.

I hesitated with Reed because I read of its rigor and drug culture (which may not affect D). And that it’s hard to have a higher GPA. We just went through 4 years of this minus the drugs at her private school.

Whitman gave less merit but D has a friend there and seems happy. But it’s far from an airport.

Puget Sound gave merit as well.

The all seem like schools that D would like.

Are you going to opt in to the waitlist? It’s not a simple WL option. There are more items to do :pleading_face:.

If you visit, could you give us an update? I would love to know about the other PNW schools from a parent’s perceptive.

I can only speak to Whitman (and Reed), but we toured Whitman last spring, and I really liked it - probably better than Reed. My main hesitation as a parent is that it’s pretty isolated - that’s not a huge deal for everyone (and wouldn’t be a dealbreaker), but would make a weekend home pretty much impossible. I was also generally not sure if my son would want to be at a college smaller than his high school. Walla Walla seems like a nice little town, the campus is pretty, the college reps were nice.

2 Likes

We are from the Bay area too. Last spring break, we visited and he interviewed.

Yes, Willamette does give good merch and merit. I have read good things about the community there. Though our friends who visited didn’t love the campus compared to Lewis and Clark. Whitman didn’t give my son a great merit package either; in fact,Whitman would be the most expensive for us.

Regarding the waiting list, I believe my son is going to opt in. I recommended that he write the short response as it at least keeps the door open, though I think he realizes that he should be focusing on the other schools and moving forward. If for some reason, after a year at another college, he decides he might want to apply again and transfer to Reed, I think opting in for the waitlist is a good idea.

Yes, I would be happy to share my observations, and my son’s impressions as well. We are planning to head up there for spring break the second week in April.

2 Likes

Did your son like Whitman?

I got waitlisted to Reed College. I received an email, my portal wasn’t updated.

Is there anyone who join the What is wait-list? I missed the meeting

Just got an admit notification from Reed off the waitlist. Had applied Early action. No mention of any financial aid. Does anyone know when Reed communicates that? In theory they are need-met for all admitted students.

1 Like

They will have just turned over your case to the financial aid office; you should hear soon, but there’s no fixed date.

1 Like

Thanks would you know if they consider the number that we submitted in CSS Profile for determining the financial aid? Also do you know if Reed requires you to submit CSS every year for international students? Apologies if this is not the right thread for this question.

I believe the answers are here:

https://www.reed.edu/financialaid/aid-eligibility.html

1 Like