Registering for Classes at Purdue University (Spring & Summer 2022 Semester)

Good Evening Everyone,

I am registering for classes for the spring 2022 semester at Purdue University. I am graduating high school and transitioning into college. I got admitted into the exploratory studies program at Purdue and I want to switch my major to First Year Engineering by the Fall 2022 Semester. Below this paragraph I will show you a list of what classes I plan to take for both the spring and summer 2022 semesters. Any advice, questions, or criticism would be nice. I just want to know if these are the right courses for me to switch into FYE at Purdue. Thank you.

**Spring 2022

1. EDPS 10500- Academic & Career Planning [3 credit hours]
  2. CHM 11500- General Chemistry [3 credit hours]
  3. MA 16500- Analytic Geometry & Calculus 1 [4 credit hours]
  4. ENGL 10600- First Year Composition [4 credit hours]

Summer 2022

1. POL 10100- American Government & Politics [3 credit hours] (Is this a required general elective course or not?)

Other Information

• There are a total of 17 credit hours completed before the Fall 2022 semester

The best person to talk to is your advisor. If they aren’t sure, reach out to the College of Engineering and ask them directly, but I will say that it looks about right to me.

EDPS 10500, I believe is required for all exploratory studies students.

Chem, math, and English you will definitely need.

I also believe Purdue recently added that POL course as a requirement for graduation.

The only class that I’m wondering about for you is physics. I would ask your advisor about that.

I will also mention that my daughter has never had a semester with fewer than 5 courses. Sometimes 6. Review with your advisor that you’ll be on track to graduate in 8 semesters if you start out your first semester with only 4 classes.

1 Like

@unknowncreature I am so happy that you will be starting your classes at Purdue! I know how
hard you have worked to get to this point!

I have a question about the math and chemistry classes that you posted, only because you have previously said that your high school does not do a good job preparing students for college. Both of these courses have prerequisites. MA16500 says that students need “demonstrated competence in college algebra and trigonometry”. CHM 11500 says that students need “one year of high school chemistry or one semester of college chemistry”.

I am hoping that you have these prerequisites, or that you took a placement test for Math so that you know this is the correct math course for you, or that you met with an academic advisor at Purdue who looked at your high school record and placed you in these classes. If that is not the case, I strongly recommend that you meet with your academic advisor to make sure that these are the correct math and chemistry courses for you, so that you will have a successful first semester at college.

I am rooting for you and want you to succeed!

2 Likes

Would the summer course “count” as the fifth class and therefore allow the OP an easier transition to college classes by starting with four classes his first semester?

2 Likes

Your advisor is the best source of info, but these courses meet the FYE CODO requirements at Change of Degree Objective for the First-Year Engineering Program - School of Engineering Education - Purdue University.

EDPS is required for exploratory students, and you likely can’t take any of the ENGR13*/EPICS courses that are the only other FYE requirement.

POL101 isn’t a required course. It is one course in one of the three options to meet the Civics Literacy requirement, and it meets a school-wide GenEd requirement, so it will be useful for any major. My daughter (MechE 2021 graduate) took it and liked it.

Those four courses are 15 units, which is plenty for 1st semester Freshman year, IMO. I certainly wouldn’t pile on ENGR13* or any other 3 credit course. The one credit ENGR1031 seminar is all I would look into adding, if anything.

My daughter had 5 courses, but one was 1031 as 1 unit. Iirc, 14-15 is/was the expected first semester courseload on the program map. MechE is 14, at Undergraduate Program Map - Mechanical Engineering - Purdue University

2 Likes

This looks like a very good schedule but make sure you have a solid basis for Calc and Chemistry. Were you placed into those courses aftera placement test? Study in preparation for these two, using crashcourse videos in addition to khan academy.
Rooting for you!:+1:

2 Likes