Registering for classes

Thought I would open a new discussion so as not to hijack Ilovemath’s thread anymore with registering and class questions that were not to him and engineering. He provides great feedback and info and I don’t want the thread to get muddied down other topics.

In looking up classes from the Howdy portal, son has put together a list of electives and from those, he needs just one class, granted that he can get 111, 151 and 218. He has chosen several classes in all of the core curriculum categories. Some satisfy the ICD requirement.

In going through all of the electives, they all have 1 or more sections listed with 0 seats open. Some have 2 sections, some a lot more.

Other classes have sections listed that show 0 seats total, 0 taken and 0 available. I take that to mean that that section just is not open yet but will at a later date. The electives pretty much do not have any 0,0,0 sections. Does that mean that there are no more sections to open, that that is it for the semester?
If that is the case, that is very disheartening. :frowning:

Here are the electives he is looking at:
(6) Communication ENGL 104
COMM 203 501-512 Public Speaking
COMM 243 Argumentation & Debate (Sec 501-507. only 4 seats left in 507. no other COMM 243 classes showing.

(3) Lang, Phil, Cult PHIL 251 501-512 Intro Philosophy (5 sections unopened?)
MUSC 201 Music & the Human Experience ICD (3 classes no seats)

(3) Soc & Behav Sci ECON 202 AP Credit Economics
SOCI 205 Intro to Sociology ICD (lots of classes and seats)
(3) Creative Arts ENDS 101 Design Process ICD (14 classes. 0 seats)
MUSC 226 History of Rock ICD (1 class of 293. no seats)
MUSC 221 Guitar Heros ICD (1 class of 87. 1 seat)
THAR 281 History of Theater II ICD (5 classes. 19 seats)

Am. History HIST 105 History of the US (lots open)
HIST 106 History of the US (lots open) but shouldn’t he take 105 first and not both together?

Government POLS 206 AP Credit American National Government
POLS 207 State & Local Government (11 classes. each have 7-9 seats)

Only into to Philosophy shows unopened classes. Do they open some that do not show?
Any suggestions for other classes for an elective that will count?

They can open new sections and open more seats in current sections. The plan is to have several options ready to go. It’s too bad that myedu no longer works with TAMU. That was a life saver. You can use http://freecollegeschedulemaker.com/ to build visual schedules but you have to enter data manually from the TAMU courses. Overall it is pretty easy to use though and helpful. I suggest building different options for all the classes and prioritize the ones that work the best.

My son had about 10 options ready for NSC registration. He had the CRN’s memorized for the classes he wanted. When it was time he entered the CRN’s and got the classes he wanted. Took about 1 minute and he was done. Others that weren’t prepared were not so lucky and spent the 2 hours looking at classes. Many kids were done in about 30 minutes or less. Obviously they had done some prep for registration.

It will workout. During open registration there is a lot of swapping that goes on. Just keep checking and a seat may open a section he wants and he will be able to switch.

I have a feeling they open the classes for freshman NSCs. I was trying to put together different schedules( emphasis on trying) Math 142 is the same way. It’s way to confusing to put together schedules. Especially since we don’t know this years AP scores yet. When is your sons NSC?

Our NSC is June 30 & July 1. Going down the 29th for the pre conference stuff. As luck would have it, his out of state random roommate is also attending the conference. They have texted some and his mom and I have texted so we are all going to meet up so the boys can meet.

After I posted, I went back online to look at building a schedule and there is tons of new stuff added, esp. math 151 versus what was there last night. (was looking at electives this morning. He has made a list of classes (I see we need the CRN) so I think we will take our list and then work on it a bit thurs night so by friday at registration time, he knows what he;s looking for. Thanks for the tip @kldat1

@Thelma2, ENDS 101 with Rodney Hill is a great class. Lots of group projects thinking up new products and inventions. Very outside-the-box and refreshing, but still time consuming. If your son opts for THAR, he should try to get Ann Quackenbush. My son tried to take ECON 202 with Edwardson last semester. It was an Honors section and they had less then 10 students enroll, so the prof announced on the first day of class that they were cancelling it – made for a race to get another class last minute.

So in the Howdy course schedule there are CAP/ACT/REM columns. Most of the classes that are listed now have 0 REM. Are all those seats actually filled by students or could some of those be just held by admin for individual orientation? I’m transferring as a junior in Computer Engineering, but I have to take a few freshmen classes to start my prerequisite chain.

Also, I’m assuming the R in days is Thursday?

If the classes that you’re referring to that have 0 REM are in math, physics, and engineering, I don’t think it’s likely that those sections will ever be available at NSC. I think once in awhile they increase CAP and therefore REM seats increase, but not for every NSC. For some popular UCC courses though, I think they add approx. 5-10 seats for each section for each NSC.
And yes, R is Thursday.