Registering for Spring classes

<p>Some new freshmen may not know that they must get advisor approval of their proposed schedule to get the Registration Hold lifted so they can register for classes. However, later changes to your spring schedule do not require approval.</p>

<p>Class registration begins in late October and continues into Nov.</p>

<p><a href=“http://registrar.ua.edu/registration/[/url]”>http://registrar.ua.edu/registration/</a></p>

<p>1) Refer to 2010-12 Undergrad catalog for Core Req’ts and req’ts for your major. The catalog is also online. 2010-12 catalog [University</a> of Alabama Undergraduate Catalog 2010-12](<a href=“http://catalogs.ua.edu/catalog10/]University”>http://catalogs.ua.edu/catalog10/) </p>

<p>2) go to “look up classes” for spring on MyBama and put together a schedule based on req’ts of major. Have some “Plan B” alternative choices in case desired classes fill up. It can help to make a 5 day grid to create a possible schedule with alternative choices. Be sure to write down the correct CRN numbers. (If you can, consider where the buildings are when putting together your schedule to avoid unnecessary cris-crossing of the campus and try to include a food break if you have a long day or must cross campus.)</p>

<p>3) make an appt with advisor to go over selections and to get registration hold lifted. This is REQUIRED…no one can register for the next semester’s classes w/o getting this hold lifted. Appts with advisors are in October. </p>

<p>4) Check with mybama after meeting with advisor to MAKE SURE that the reg hold was lifted. Sometimes there’s a slip-up, so CHECK!!!</p>

<p>5) At appointed registration time, plug in the CRN numbers. Registration time is based on number of credits earned and honors status.</p>

<p>Am I reading it correctly? If student is in honors they are what is termed as “Students with priority registration…” </p>

<p>Also does “earned hours” include AP credits? </p>

<p>Also is there an honors advisor? If so, should they meet with him/her as well as department advisor? </p>

<p>Trying to make sure we have the procedure down. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INSIGHTS.</p>

<p>Students in the Honors College do have priority registration. It is based on the number of credits a student has. That number could include AP/IB/dual enrollment credits. The more you have, the earlier you register.</p>

<p>As for meeting with an adviser, go to your departmental person. Set up your appointment early, as all of these professors teach, research and have other commitments.</p>

<p>Do the students get an email telling them when their registration time is open, similar to how room selection worked?</p>

<p>Also, what credit hours do you use to see where you stand, your earned credits, from transfer/AP/dual enrollment, or how many credits you expect to have earned at the end of your first semester?</p>

<p>I believe earned hours don’t include AP/IB/dual enrollment credit.</p>

<p>Different departments do things differently, but I started getting e-mails about scheduling an advising appointment once September started and have already had my advising appointment. Have your student contact their department about scheduling an advising appointment.</p>

<p>AP/IB/Dual enrollment credits do count towards getting an earlier registration time, but AFAIK the classes you are currently taking do not count towards this requirement. I’m glad that credits not earned at UA are counted as such a policy doesn’t penalize transfer students and those who have studied abroad at other institutions.</p>

<p>There is no official honors college advisor as advising is done by the student’s major department/college. Every semester, the honors college does an audit of honors students’ GPA’s and honors courses completed to see if they are on track to graduate from the honors program(s) and will contact students who are not on track (ie a student with a 3.2 cumulative GPA or a junior who has only taken one honors course).</p>

<p>*I believe earned hours don’t include AP/IB/dual enrollment credit. *</p>

<p>Feeno…NO!!!..</p>

<p>YES THEY DO!</p>

<p>My kids had early registration times because of their AP credits.</p>

<p>However, you don’t count credits that are “in progress”. So, if you entered Bama with 30 AP credits and are taking 15 credits for fall, then you only count the 30 credits.</p>

<p>Do the students get an email telling them when their registration time is open, similar to how room selection worked?</p>

<p>don’t know…but really don’t need an email. Just look at the link and based on how many credits your child has…there is his time.</p>

<p>*If student is in honors they are what is termed as “Students with priority registration…”</p>

<p>Also is there an honors advisor? If so, should they meet with him/her as well as department advisor? *</p>

<p>Yes…honors kids have priority registration.</p>

<p>No, there isn’t an honors advisor since honors kids are in all disciplines. Kids get advised thru their majors.</p>

<p>Looks like October 26 and October 27 are the times for kids with priority registration, and then it varies based on their hours. Looks like nonhonors freshmen with AP credit would not register until November 4, approximately. So if I’m reading the registration correctly, it looks like honors kids do have an advantage in registering earlier than nonhonors, similar to what they had with room selection.</p>

<p>For the veterans on this board, please correct me if I’m wrong. Don’t want to put any misinformation out there.</p>

<p>My mistake, maybe I thinking about football…</p>

<p>TBH, I’ve never had issues with not getting classes or class sections I wanted due to lack of registration priority.</p>

<p>To find out how many credits you currently have…</p>

<p>Go to Mybama - Academics Tap</p>

<p>Left column - Banner Services</p>

<p>click on Student Services</p>

<p>Click on Student Records</p>

<p>Click on Academic Transcript</p>

<p>click on Submit</p>

<p>Scroll down to Earned Hours</p>

<p>Yes…honors kids have priority registration.</p>

<p>Yeah, freshman honors students have priority over senior non-honors students.</p>

<p>Make sure you check your transcript over the next few weeks if you took any classes during the summer. Those hours could alter when you can register for classes for the spring.</p>