Regular Decision 2020

Hey guys. I know that it says on the admissions website that the application notification date for Regular Decision is April 1, but I heard that some students hear back earlier. How true is this? If this is true, are there specific dates for these earlier Regular Decision notifications?

I was told by an admissions staff that if you apply early, you get a decision by Early/Mid February even if you applied as a RD candidate.

@DSNJ2016 Oh I hope this is true. My S sent in his RD application in November. Would certainly cut down on the stress not having to wait until 4/1!

Last year’s RD applicants were notified on 2-20-15. My unofficial take is that some other schools ran a couple of days behind last years schedule. Maybe there are more applicants this year.

From what I read on last years college confidential is that on 2-20 you got your decsion if you were excepted into your first choice.

Just to clarify - last year VT notified RD applicants of acceptances 6 weeks before the published 4/1 notification date?

I’m wondering the same thing. I sent in my homeschooler’s mid-year report not too long ago. Wonder how important that is?

This is what admissions posted last year:

We wanted to share some information regarding when you might be notified of your admission decision.

The published notification date at Virginia Tech for regular decision freshman admission is April 1. For the past five years, Virginia Tech has made every effort to release admission decisions in two rounds: one in February and one in March.

This year the February round will include those students whose applications were evaluated by the admissions committee prior to this date.

If you don’t learn your admission decision in February, please know that most of our admissions decisions will be released on March 20, 2015, and your application is still under review by the admissions committee. Thousands of students will still receive offers of admission when decisions are released in March.

All admission decisions will be posted to the applicant’s application status page. In order to view your application status page, you must set up a Guest Account.

In the meantime, please submit your first semester grades, if available and you haven’t already done so.

@collegec123, thanks. That’s useful information.

Some students reported getting their acceptance today. Link: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1839993-virginia-techs-class-of-2020-p1.html

@DSNJ2016 it looks like the only people who heard back today are international students. If I’m not mistaken, the international students heard back a little bit sooner than the domestic students last year.

@mmazza38 Ok Thanks! What about the next round? Do OOS hear before in-state? We are OOS.

@DSNJ2016 I’m pretty sure domestic students hear back on the same days, regardless of in state or out of state.

I recall reading that international students are notified earlier because they have so much documentation to prepare, submit, and receive approvals so they can attend college in the US. They require the extra time.

@GradandMom It looks like you’re right. I just looked through last year’s thread and it appears that the international students heard back eight days prior to domestic students hearing back for regular decision.

Apparently VT is releasing one round of decisions February 22, and the next one March 18, 2016 (http://www.admiss.vt.edu/admission-decision-notification-2016/)

It’s going to be a long 10 days…or perhaps a longer 5 weeks.

6 days 3 hours

What criteria do they use to decide when the decision will be posted for the student? Is it strictly by the date the student applied?

one of my friends said that you should be notified in February if you got accepted into your first choice major, don’t quote me on that though.