Reject from Grinnell and next steps

His current plan is to do MS/PhD after Bachelors. So the focus has been to find places which will allow research as an undergraduate student. Let’s see.

I agree that doing bachelors in India and coming to USA for graduate studies is always available.

1 Like

Three excellent public LAC options have been mentioned:

Minnesota-Morris: ~$28500 cost of attendance, about 1300 students

SUNY Geneseo: ~$34000 cost of attendance, about 4400 students

UNC-Asheville: ~$40000 cost of attendance, about 3300 students

These offer the feel of a smaller college at the prices of a public school.

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like a solid plan.

Other thing to note: most masters programs in biology are cash cows for universities. They get a lot of tuition revenue, and so the admissions standards are not that high. But for PhD programs it is much harder as they are fully funded (tuition + stipend). Its better to aim for PhD programs after bachelors, but as you can imagine the competition is much harder. The key will be getting access to a lab which does good research. This is tougher at smaller LACs, but still doable.

1 Like

Sorry meant need-blind…

1 Like

Yes we are definitely applying to at least one them.

1 Like

Will take a look at Furman surely.

There are only two LACs Amherst and Bowdoin. Assumption is they would be more difficult to get into.

1 Like

Pretty sure he posted the list of schools applied to in his earlier thread. Also, the OP is a graduate of Berkeley, and is familiar with the US higher education landscape.

4 Likes

Hendrix possible but a risk. No need aid. Ogelthorpe ‘May be’ a better chance at cost although I don’t think is as strong academically.

Maybe you can ask schools for a ‘pre read.’

Two more public flagships that I believe will hit budget - Arkansas and WVU.

Again, while most may not equal the academic superiority you seek for your son, there will be students that do and he’ll need to find them. Given his major he’ll be off to a good start.

1 Like

You say that Rollins accepted your son, but from this letter, it appears that they did not accept him (based on financial need) but are willing to reconsider his application if you convince them that you are able to pay more of their COA.

And…where did you tell them that you can pay $32K? Is that from the CSS Profile question “Enter the amount your parents think they will be able to pay for your education”? If so, that information is available to all CSS Profile schools, not just Grinnell where you say they held it against you (and it seems Rollins did too).

I know that Net Price Calculators are not reliable for international students, but it still might be worthwhile to run a couple of them to see what they say your family contribution would be if you were a domestic student. You would almost certainly be asked to contribute more than that, but it could give you a sense of the minimum amount your family would be expected to contribute, and that might help you with your future planning.

And since that 32k is already in the CSS Profile, you might have better luck with FAFSA-only schools.

Good luck.

1 Like

I don’t think there was any such amount in CSS. Rollins sent us a separate online form where they asked us to put an amount between 32k-42k for family contribution.

It appears the OP believes that Grinnell denied her son largely for reasons other than financial need:

2 Likes

I see. Then I think you may have a shot at Rollins for re-negotiation if you can prove that you can meet a higher amount. As for CSS Profile, the last time I had to fill it out was last year, but that question was there. It may have been removed for this year, but you may want to review your answers to the CSS Profile to see if they still ask it, and if so, what information you (or your son) provided.

1 Like

@Andygp I just sent you a Private Message. Let me know if you have trouble accessing it.

1 Like

Since I don’t believe it has been explicitly stated in this topic, note that Grinnell reported an overall acceptance rate of 9.2% for its most recent class. At schools at this level of selectivity, denials for well qualified students will be common. Grinnell, nonetheless, represented an appropriate choice for the OP, in that admission was a realistic possibility. A greater list made with the same degree of diligence that includes colleges across a range of selectivity may produce great results going forward.

6 Likes

This is my concern. OP wants a certain type of school. Maybe it wouldn’t be Grinnell but a St Olaf, Kalamazoo, or Wooster, all much much easier to get into but not with the quality of students that he desires and no assurance on costs. Quality yes but not as much.

Then there are the publics that are affordable but may not have the overall academic vibe desired although they’ll all have pockets that OPs son can squeeze into.

Could it be the US isn’t the best landing spot ? The best use of OPs hard earned dollars ?

OP already feels their Masters Program at Hawaii - that his cohort - didn’t add value etc.

2 Likes

I am unfamiliar with what may be different issues for international students, but Wooster has a financial pre read and my S would get 38K in merit. He was also invited to virtually interview for the highest scholarships at UMN Morris, one of which is full tuition.

Luther College in Iowa offers a lot of merit aid, might be worth checking? My S just got a mailing from them offering one of those “priority apps” promising a reply within 2 weeks. It is a good school!

3 Likes

@Andygp , Earlham accepts applications on its own form if you don’t want to use a common app spot. They, of course, accept common app. It would appear that they do extend aid/merit to international students. Given the strength of the pre-med program, I would think that your son would find the resources for his academic interests.

While there are many schools here I know through friends, etc., this is one that we visited. DH would probably rank this one as the best surprise in our search, and this was the one I personally was the saddest to say good-bye to when DS made his final decision. DS went back for the revisit and reported a very high level of engagement in the classroom - particularly in an organic chem class! Several science teachers at his high school had gone here (which is how it ended up on his list) as well as a relative who is an MD, and I have met many grads through a non-profit I am involved with, and every one of them has impressed me. The classmate of DS who went there is now in med school.

I mention this not to propel this one to the top of the list, but because it’s very easy to discount schools you haven’t heard of or that aren’t most highly ranked. But these are often the secrets of the US system. Hoping that your perseverance surfaces a few.

11 Likes

Yes. I agree completely.

3 Likes

Iowa State a Large school but you will hear back very quickly and more importantly will be affordable
K College and Wooster, Liberal Arts Colleges with Large Merit as well

3 Likes