Reject Train Going Full Speed

@Tigerle Maybe and perhaps then, but UChicago was before I knew I had gotten into a bs/md program - getting in has changed a lot of things and also when I have to decide among schools I got into.

Pulling out of UChicago ED2 last minute was extremely difficult I would admit. It’s an amazing school like Bowdoin, with a liberal arts education, and yes, their famous “Life of the Mind”. But the GPPA program really changed my perspective and I guess that time also let me rethink the process a bit.

Well, I’ve official withdrawn from USC. What a shame. Calling themselves a Questbridge school - my appeal financial aid only shaved $6,000 off the price - I would still need to pay out of pocket $4000 a year plus $5500 in loans. What a joke and a big bummer to not just me, but the other Questbridge folks.

Sorry for the disappointment.

Google directed me to this quote from USC’s admissions blog, dated 12/20/18:

“While we match fewer than 10 students every year through the QuestBridge National College Match Scholarship, we have one of the largest QuestBridge Scholars Network because so many QuestBridge finalists are admitted through USC’s regular decision admission process.”

So they’re giving very few of the generous QB-Match aid packages, and gaining lots of pre-vetted QB Scholars that are willing to muddle through with the kind of aid you got.

That loan amount would definitely have gone up in subsequent years. $5500 is the max for freshman year, but you can borrow $5600 as a sophomore and $7500 in your junior and senior years. You would almost certainly have had the maximum loan in your package each year, and graduated with $27K debt. And your out-of-pocket could well have gone up too.

A painful decision, but a sound one.

@aquapt Yikes! It seems like I dodged a bullet here. I had no idea the maximum loan amount would’ve gone up - USC probably would’ve raised my loan cap!

Oh, I mistyped and it’s too late to edit - that’s $6500 sophomore year.

https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/subsidized-unsubsidized#how-much

It even says that students whose parents are unable to obtain PLUS loans (which may be you) are allowed to borrow even more. I’m not sure how that works. But it’s pretty standard that if your first-year package includes that standard $5500 loan, it’ll be $6500 and $7500 later.

^ Of course, just because the maximum loan amount goes up doesn’t mean the borrower must take out that much. However, in OP’s case he may well have needed to.

So HKim, are you down to two?

@Lindagaf No I’m currently down to three: GPPA, Bowdoin, W&L (their merit scholarship is also hard to give up) but it seems like GPPA vs Bowdoin/W&L

@HKimPOSSIBLE - First time reading this thread (was alerted by someone). I am active on BSMD threads and my opinion is you are giving up too much to have a guaranteed medical school admission. 1.5 hr commute (or moving your family to reduce) is a lot. Since you already went thru BSMD cycle and have success you know what it takes to get into a medical school. As others said you prepare for MCAT not college. You already have research and strong LOR. You can continue your research with same PI during summers and get LOR. My recommendation is go to Bowdoin, have full college experience and aim high for medical school.

My S is a junior at Vandy. He gave up 2 good BSMDs, Penn and JHU for full tuition scholarship at Vandy and thriving. He got 100th percentile in MCAT with moderate prep and ready to apply for next cycle.

I’m going to chime in again (see previous comment #816) with a vote for the GPPA direct admit program.

Since you’re so clear about taking a path to medical school, why not make it a direct route?

While there are clearly many advantages to a LAC such as Bowdoin/W&L, both the high emotional and financial costs of applying to med school - only three years from now -should not be downplayed.

It’s clear that you’re a strong student and would probably have a positive outcome with your med school applications, unless you take a year off between graduation and applying, it will have an impact on your undergrad experience. You’ll need to choose if you take O-Chem sophomore or junior year, while maintaining as high a GPA as possible; you’ll need to spend time shadowing and/or volunteering; you’ll also need to work closely with the advising office at your undergrad school beginning freshman year, to get the help you’ll need with timing, recommendations, etc. for your application.

As I mentioned earlier, the application costs rack up quickly. You’ll be paying for applications, secondaries and last minute travel for interviews, if you are invited for II’s.

Spend some time on the SDN admission pages to get a sense of the yearly anxiety.

I do agree that whichever school you select, you’ll do well.

Wow. This is an important contribution to the discussion.

Agree, I was thinking earlier how good it would be to get some other contributions from people who are more “been there done that” (or at least, “seen that”). Also, if I understand correctly, most people at UIC commute, so it’s hard to see (from people already there) how to compare to a full college experience…most do it so it’s just the normal experience for them.

I have to say, I thought post #1097 was an insightful question and the answer maybe a little too blithe/bit of confirmation bias. I think sometimes, because @HKimPOSSIBLE is so smart and accomplished, we sometimes forget hkim is also still very young.

@srk2017 Thanks for your response!

I don’t think getting into a BS/MD necessarily means it shows what it takes to get into a medical school. I’m certain the process and competition are vastly different.

I’m a bit confused, as neither Penn (UPenn? or did you mean Penn State?) nor JHU (Johns Hopkins University?) has BS/MDs or an accelerated medical program. But congratulations on the 100th percentile for the MCAT - that’s stellar and amazing! However, I would say getting a 513 minimum and obtaining a least a 524 (starting 100th percentile) aren’t comparable.

I would say your son is exceptionally bright as my siblings and people I’ve known have been taking entire summers, a gap year, or even years to build specs and a solid MCAT score to shoot for good medical schools. It’s cases like the one @momofsenior1 brought up that does show the unfortunate reality and competitiveness of medical school admissions.

I think Vandy was similar to the USC case for me (though Vandy would be better suited) as it has a top medical school on campus and is a research powerhouse that consistently has a solid number of applicants.

Process is same (GPA, standardized test scores, ECs and interview skills) except at a larger scale. only 5% matriculate from BSMD programs and that’s why they have become more competitive.

The reason I mentioned Penn and JHU is most kids who got BSMD admissions tend to have T20 UG admissions also and also getting good MCAT score is not an issue. Only issue I come across is kids had too many distractions in first year and mess up GPA and end up taking gap years. You don’t need 524 to get into medical school :smile:

I have to say that i really agree with this “My recommendation is go to Bowdoin, have full college experience and aim high for medical school.”

This was hotly debated on BSMD threads :smile: There are always cases like that but we don’t know what’s the reason for your friend’s D to get only 1 acceptance (school list, poor essay, poor interviewing are some of the reasons). It’s hard to predict T20 schools but kids don’t get rejected from other schools without some underlying issue. OP already went thru medical school interview and was successful so they already have that advantage going for them.

@srk2017 : would you say the same if OP had a full ride and was able to live on campus? (ie., How much of your advice comes from costs + commuting situation)?
In your experience, do all BSMD students matriculate?
@HKimPOSSIBLE : do you know what % students make it?

I would slightly differ on OP medical school interview, as GPPA is IL residents only, its competitive pool is relatively smaller than national pool competing for top med schools.
Without reading 55 pages and based on few choices boiled down to, GPPA will give you all opportunities for inner cities environment that may provide a fulfilling satisfaction.

If OP has full ride, can live on campus and medical school is also instate I would say take BSMD. I am not against BSMD, but not for BSMD at any cost.

AAMC published attrition rate, (2013-14 matriculation year), shows 5.2% of BS/MDs leave medical school, compared to 3.1% MD-only. Interestingly, this is comprised of 2.9% academic/2.3% non-academic reasons for BS/MDs, compared to 1.3%/1.8% MD-only. BSMD is only 5% so smaller sample size.

Thanks!