Rejected by 12/13 colleges, 1550, 4.0, & 20 college classes [including college junior level math]

On-campus.

2 Likes

It seems like not all ā€œfull ridesā€ cover both room and board, some just do housing alone, and a lot donā€™t cover other indirect costs like transportation.

University of Alabama for example has an estimated $6,678 of indirect costs that arenā€™t covered my NM. Iā€™m not completely sure, but if by ā€œhousingā€ the Alabama page means only the room cost and not board, that puts the total at over 7k including the 3.5k supplemental scholarship. Itā€™d still be cheaper for me that WSU because of a Pell Grant, but without that itā€™d be over 7k. And some other places on the list of 27 posted earlier would be over that.

2 Likes

I could be wrong about all that, Iā€™m not an expert on the subject, but thatā€™s the situation if Iā€™m reading everything correctly.

Looks like WSUā€™s enrollment deposit is $200. Although that is not nothing, if you have not found another suitable (i.e. better than WSU in the combination of affordability and math department quality) college that you can enroll in for fall 2023 by the matriculation deadline in a few days, it will ensure that you retain the option of starting at WSU in fall 2023, even if you are still considering a gap year and checking for colleges that may be worth applying to for fall 2024 during a gap year. You would then have all summer to decide whether to enroll at WSU in fall 2023 or de-matriculate and take a gap year.

7 Likes

Thanks!

Unless I find somewhere better to apply this year, Iā€™ll just be going to WSU. Regardless, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be taking a gap year. I wouldnā€™t know what to do with myself. I know a lot of people after high school want to get out into the world and do things, but Iā€™m, uh, a bit of a hermit. Which is probably a contributing factor to why I didnā€™t get into so many of the places I applied. Iā€™ll lead things if nobody else will, or other people are being incompetent, but itā€™s not my natural inclination. During summers, I spend every day indoors unless thereā€™s some planned activity that forces me outside. Reading and thinking about things is hardly an impressive thing to say you spent a gap year on.

I donā€™t think Iā€™d greatly improve my applications during a gap year, and, regardless, Iā€™d rather not take 25% longer to get into grad school. It would be an intentional decision to stop learning, which I donā€™t want to do. That is, at the end of the day, what college is about to me.

I should really care about what job itā€™ll end up getting me more than I doā€¦

2 Likes

You wonā€™t ā€˜JUST ā€™ be going to WSU.

You will be and you can have a great outcome just like if you went anywhere else.

Itā€™s up to you !!

Get involved. Try things. Youā€™ll find your people.

Take a positive approach. Many a fantastic contributor to society in many fields will come from Pullman !!

Both my kids are at safeties. My son has a great engineering gig lined up - from u guessed it Alabama.

And my daughter just landed an internship with the state we live from College of Charleston, a regional public.

Itā€™s about grit and determination.

Get psyched. Find a roommate that matches you. See about getting into Honors.

Take advantage !!

Best of luck.

13 Likes

I suppose my wording there could be interpreted negatively. I didnā€™t mean for that to be the case. I meant to use ā€œjustā€ to indicate it was the straightforward and simple option, not a bad one. I would have preferred to get into one of my non-safeties, obviously, so I suppose my view about the situation isnā€™t entirely positive. But I didnā€™t mean for the statement to sound bitter either.

3 Likes

Go with a positive viewā€¦and you will do well.

2 Likes

I will give you my opinion, having read through this whole thread. This is all going to work out really well for you. You just donā€™t totally see that yet because the rejections from your higher ranked schools still sting (and I know it will for a while). But you need to get your head back in the game and move on from the rejection and embrace the opportunity in front you because this may turn out to be an excellent path for you. This could really be where youā€™re meant to be and someday you may look back and realize that things turned out exactly as they were supposed to.

And I say this mainly because you plan to go to grad school and you are on a solid path for doing so. As an undergrad, make it your goal to knock the socks out of everyone in your department. Get straight Aā€™s. Get invited to work with professors on research. Co-author papers, present at conferences - these opportunities are available for ambitious and talented undergrad students and you could be a super star WSU. Make that your goal. It is within your reach. And if you do thatā€¦You will likely have a great choice of grad schools (just remember to be strategic in how your apply). But you should create some great possibilities for yourself. And you know what? Once youā€™ve gone to grad school, NO ONE will ever ask or care about where you did your undergrad degree. Once you have a grad degree, your undergrad degree becomes far less relevant. Embrace WSU and get determined to make the absolute most out of the next 3-4 years. Excel. And try to have some fun! The best is yet to come for you, and WSU can provide you with an excellent stepping stone to your future.

22 Likes

I donā€™t think you need to worry about that right now. You have earned the right to spend every day indoors reading and thinking about things for many, many months at WSU. You wonā€™t be racking up debt. You can take classes in philosophy and physics and anything that sounds cool. You can go on ā€œRate My Professorā€ and find the professors who sound like they will be the most interesting and out-of-the-box. Maybe your current WSU professors and fellow students have recommendations for what classes they think are the best or most unique. This is the time to challenge yourself in areas that you donā€™t think of as your typical strengths, and to learn from experts in the field. Itā€™s a chance to take archeology, human development, soil science, anatomy, winemaking, genetics, linguistics, music historyā€¦

Maybe you could go abroad for a semester somewhere where they have a program in theoretical math. If you donā€™t want to go abroad, you could do a study away semester at a different US university. From what I hear, financial aid usually follows students for those semesters.

I am sorry that you are disappointed, and rejection really does suck. But your drive, your curiosity, and your brain will take you wherever you want to go. It really is so much more about the person than the specific school.

10 Likes

@OuterProduct I just want to compliment you on your articulate posts and great attitude. I think you will do well.

ps direct entry to a PhD program with masterā€™s along the way can be a way to fund grad school!

18 Likes

Yes! Definitely consider the PhD route, if doing grad school - youā€™ll pick up the masters along the way. PhD students are more likely to get priority for funding (often through teaching positions) than those whose planned terminal degree is a masters.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s true - WSU is part of the National Student Exchange. You could spend up to a full academic year at another participating school for the same cost.
https://nse.org/exchange/find-campus/

19 Likes

Some great schools. UGA. the LACs in Minnesota. American. How lucky is that !!

1 Like

Yep, St. Olaf has a very strong math department and would provide the ā€œsmall intellectual communityā€ experience. Some great flagships here too - UMass Amherst, UGA, UMinn Twin Cities, U of Arizona, Rutgers, the SUNYā€™s, Texas A&Mā€¦ and some good Canadian Uā€™s also.

7 Likes

Poster should contact me if interested. I would make an exception for the poster.

19 Likes

At Tulsa, this year, probably 20% plus will be NMF in our freshmen class.

10 Likes

One thing you can use your time at WASU to do is to broaden your interests. The benefit of a larger school is that they offer lots of science options in depth. Take some time to look into physics or even engineering or other similar programs. With all the credits you have, you have an amazing opportunity to double major. I know you really like the area of mathematics you are concentrating in, but take the opportunity to learn other subjects in depth. That is part of what college is for. Expand your horizons. You may find a way to combine some interests. You are amazingly talented. There are very few students who could study the complex and deep math classes you are taking. That is awesome. I think your have been offered some great advice. I will tell you the same thing I tell my kids. Find your advisor, develop a relationship with them and work to create your opportunities. Get involved in research, study abroad, do a year at another school through the exchange program. These are once in a lifetime opportunities that you can do in the next 4 years. Take advantage of every one of them that you can. Especially if you are from a low income family, use these next 4 years at WASU to sign up for every trip and opportunity that you can. Then go to grad school as a much more well rounded student who has gotten to have some great experiences.

9 Likes