Rejected from all the UCs i applied to

<p>How is it possible
i applied to berkeley, la, davis, and santa barbara
davis and sb were supposed to be a sure thing</p>

<p>What were you stats and applied major?</p>

<p>There are no sure things. Definitely heard of folks getting rejected from Davis and UCSB ( oddly, some who apparently did get accepted to UCSD), so you are not alone.
Rejection feels crappy. </p>

<p>However, if you believe that you have grounds for appeal you should look into it.</p>

<p>Did you get accepted somewhere else that you liked?</p>

<p>sorry to hear about that, UCs are supposed to guarantee admission for at least 1 of their schools for CA residents. at least that's what it says in the book.</p>

<p>sorry, but UC only guarantees admission to ELC students, i.e., top 4% in a HS class.</p>

<p>UC guarantees admission to every California student who meets the minimum qualifications, but they don't guarantee that if you only apply to some schools you will definitely get into one of them. I don't know about Merced, but last year the only UC which guaranteed admission to every applicant who met the minimum UC standards was Riverside.</p>

<p>kluge:</p>

<p>please post the ucop web link that supports post #6. thanks.</p>

<p>I believe only ELC-identified (top 4% in school but must also fully eligible) are guaranteed admission to one of the UCs.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.ucop.edu/sas/elc/eligibilityinfo.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ucop.edu/sas/elc/eligibilityinfo.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>are you a ca. resident? If so, doesn't Ca promise enrollment to all Ca. residents?</p>

<p>Bluebayou - I'm not aware of an express "guarantee" - and in fact, in one recent year there was talke of deferring a small number of students (I'm not sure if they did.) But I do know it's the intent of the university to offer admission to every student who meets the minimum qualifications. The UCOP website says this:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman.html&lt;/a>
[quote]
Because many campuses receive applications from more eligible students than they have space for, meeting the minimum requirements for any of these paths may not be enough to gain you admission to the campus of your choice.

[/quote]
In an interview a UC spokesperson said this:

[quote]
For Fall 2006, we expect that two campuses --UC Merced and UC Riverside -- will be able to offer admission to all eligible applicants. The remaining campuses will augment their review of applicants with the comprehensive review process.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Its crazy. I have a friend who was accepted to CAL but not Merced, and another who was rejected by SB, LA, and SD and only got into Cal States. My advice is a good community college for a year or two, saves money, smaller classes, great bonds, guaranteed admission to the top UCs, USC, and Pomona College.</p>

<p>"I have a friend who was accepted to CAL but not Merced,"
thats hard to believe</p>

<p>they probably figured there was no way in hell he'd go to merced, so they saved the space for someone who might actually go.</p>

<p>I'd like to make a pitch for UC Riverside here for any California student who will be applying in the next few years. A lot of people don't even consider this school - like it's Siberia or something. It is a very good university, with some outstanding programs. True, the city of Riverside is not the most glamorous place in the world - but then, the area around USC isn't, either. Just checking the "Riverside" box on the application can guarantee the option of getting a UC education for a student who meets the published UC standards. I have a sad suspicion that a lot of students don't check that box just because of perceived prestige relative to the other UC campuses. Nothing is a sure thing these days. We are going through the most competitive string of years for college admissions the country has ever seen.</p>

<p>In past years, all UC-eligible California residents who were not admitted to any of the campuses they applied to have been offered the opportunity for admission at a UC campus. Students who said they wanted to be considered made up what is called the "referral pool". For fall 2005, these students were offered admission at Merced or Riverside.</p>

<p>UCLA has a Transfer Alliance Program....you attend an honors program at a community college and are given priority consideration for admission to the College of Letters and Science. Only specific community colleges are part of this program.</p>

<p>rix - how does that work? I remember in the distant past there was just one UC application, handled centrally, and each applicant would list their favorite campuses in order of priority. If you didn't get into any of the ones you listed higher you were offered an open slot at a different campus - back then it was at Riverside, IIRC. But I wasn't aware that any part of that program was still around.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is particularly true. I have several friends who only applied to UCSD last year as HS seniors and were rejected; all of whom eventually received acceptances to both UCM and UCR.</p>

<p>I would think that it's pretty safe to say if you're applying to any of the UCs, don't spend additional fees on Merced and Riverside as safeties.</p>

<p>I think students are contacted by the UC Office of the President. You could try to get more info by phone/email:</p>

<p>UC Undergraduate Application Processing Service
E-mail: <a href="mailto:ucinfo@ucapplication.net">ucinfo@ucapplication.net</a>
Telephone: (800) 523-2048 (in California)
(925) 808-2181 (outside California)</p>

<p>i dont see how this thread is still alive when the OP has only made one post (the first) and has not posted his stats.</p>