Rejected question

<p>Yes, GPA definitely works against my daughter in the UC system. She took honors classes, but OOS honors are not weighted; she took only 2 AP's, which are weighted, and 20 University/College credits which are unaccounted for in the UC system. Oh, and her SAT 2's were actually a tad higher than I stated: 1200</p>

<p>Schmoomcgoo, I don't know, but I sincerely doubt that the UC's would ever assume that an applicant fom a private high school (me) would pass on a fantastic academic education at a UC or even a state school. Just because we didn't get to enjoy the education that our tax dollars paid for in high school....doesn't begin to hint that we want that to continue. We want the best education, from where I live...my parents thought that could only be attained at a private high school.
I have been accepted at 3 UC's, 1 state, private---no decision yet. Money does matter though.
I have no idea why your daughter would be rejected--her stats show that she is very gifted...maybe they were looking for that something extra and it just didn't come across. Best of luck!</p>

<p>You guys are forgetting that UCSC isn't the typical UC... it uses a much more holistic process to choose students that are much more like the ones in berkeley in the 60s. thats why they call UCSC the new berkeley, not because of the academics but all the crazy protests. they probably thought you/your daughter wasn't the best fit... probably overqualified as well.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Yes, GPA definitely works against my daughter in the UC system. She took honors classes, but OOS honors are not weighted; she took only 2 AP's, which are weighted, and 20 University/College credits which are unaccounted for in the UC system.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that UC weights honors, AP, and college classes in their weighted UC GPA for OOS students.</p>

<p>No, it's only AP/IB for OOS I've heard.</p>

<p>Oh I see, they must have changed the policy in the last couple of years. As if OOS admissions weren't difficult enough!</p>

<p>Update: Daughter was accepted UCSD preBioengineering/premed!!!</p>

<p>Schmoomcgoo -- congrats to your daughter! Well, that kind of says it all, doesn't it. A reject from UCSC and an accept from UCSD.</p>

<p>My son (in state) last year was rejected from UCD but accepted at Cal, so nothing surprises me anymore.</p>

<p>A friend is a reader for UCLA apps and she told me they do not have the time or inclination to consider where an applicant has been accepted or rejected -- that is NOT a factor in their decisions.</p>