Rejected Transfer Student

Many (most?) schools that say they meet the full need of undergraduates are need-aware, meaning the more financial assistance a student needs, the greater the chance of a negative impact on the admissions decision. Do you think that may have played a role?

If you’re interested in submitting any additional transfer applications and would like ideas of possible schools, let us know your budget and what you’re looking for besides a psychology program at a liberal arts school.

I am wondering if those accepted comm coll students meet certain demographic criteria that those colleges are seeking. From this applicant’s description, he did absolutely everything possible to become the top student in Psychology from that comm coll, and still no acceptances. Overall, it is not surprising because it is generally understood that rigor at comm colleges is nowhere near that at 4 yr colleges, and certainly far below that at T50 schools.

But note that some of these colleges target very specific types of students in transfer admissions. For example, Cornell’s transfer intake includes a large number of NY CC students transferring into its state-related divisions. Princeton and Stanford take very few transfer students, but those they do take appear to be mainly non-traditional students.

Kansas State looks interesting, comes up when searching the link for transfer, financial aid, housing. Has neuroscience.
Reputed to be a happy place, etc.

Also Northern Arizona

5 Likes

You can’t just look at the overall percentages for transfers. The number includes students coming out of the military, students who are competing at a world cup/Olympic level in sports (so did not enter a four year college immediately after HS), students whose artistic pursuits (ballet, music) meant that a traditional “four year college at age 18” didn’t work for them. There are a lot of reasons and stories and narratives behind each transfer. And Cornell specifically- there are articulation agreements in place with particular CC’s, their numbers don’t translate to the CC population overall.

OP- you sound like a terrific, highly motivated student and any college should be proud to have you on campus. Fingers crossed you’ve got good news coming. It only takes one…

7 Likes

Thank you, I really hope so.

Little update; I’m now on two more waitlists for T25 LAC’s making it 3 total. I know it’s notoriously hard to get off these waitlists, so fingers crossed but I’m feeling a bit better.

3 Likes

which ones?

And they have a substantial guaranteed transfer option program that they offer to freshmen applicants.

1 Like

Any final update? :slight_smile: