Released from NYU ED 2 to see UC admissions because of financial aid

I just got accepted into NYU for ED 2 however it isn’t really my first choice especially considering the cost. I got some financial aid, but a UC is still cheaper and it says on the NYU website that you can be released from the ED agreement if you didn’t get enough financial aid. Would it be possible to be released from ED so that I can see if I am admitted to any UC’s after March 1, but still be able to go to NYU if I am not? (like just moving my acceptance as if I did regular decision)

Also it says that the deadline for accepting/declining NYU ED is march 1, but I don’t know if that applies if I’m released from the ED agreement due to financial issues.

What happens if I accept the NYU offer and then unenroll to enroll in a UC when they come out by March 31?

If you cannot reasonably afford NYU now, you won’t be able to afford it after March 1st, right? And if you can afford NYU with the aid they have offered you, then it appears you have misunderstood the binding agreement of an ED application.

The comparative expenses of other colleges are not a relevant consideration.

With a commitment to NYU, which you may have already, it would be expected that you withdraw your extant applications.

3 Likes

While I know NYU is more flexible with waiving out of ED than other schools, do know that they meet 100% of need.

So you should be ok.

Saying another school is cheaper is not relevant. You applied ED full well knowing you are bound if you get in, short of it not being affordable.

That it is more expensive does not make it unaffordable.

You should not have applied ED. You gamed the system and now you have a pickle.

You should live up to your commitment, assuming it’s affordable (which doesn’t mean less expensive).

Good luck.

8 Likes

Why did you apply ED to a school you weren’t 100% committed to attending if accepted?

7 Likes

" it says on the NYU website that you can be released from the ED agreement if you didn’t get enough financial aid."

It does not say this. It says If you are awarded a financial aid package that does not meet enough of your financial need to allow you to attend.

Since they meet 100% of need, this is highly unlikely.

You wanted to get in so bad you gambled and it’s a great acceptance.

Enjoy your 4 years - living in the big apple is like no other experience.

1 Like

This is not entirely accurate. Even colleges that meet full need sometimes provide packages that families find unaffordable; that is a reason why it is important to check the net price calculator before applying. For my daughter, full need colleges ranged more than 10K from lowest to highest in what they thought we could afford. If the package came out to be more than the student expected, they can get out of the agreement.

HOWEVER, I would be shocked if NYU would be willing to just pause on the acceptance and allow the student to compare offers. Once they say they can’t afford it, they doubt that they can come back on March 31st and say “well NYU, you turned out to be the best offer I got so I am coming after all.”

3 Likes

Are you saying the NPC amount was substantially different than your amount they ultimately offered? I am assuming your family ran the NPC and decided that the amount given was acceptable enough to commit to ED?

Probably NOT. You are given a date by which you either accept or decline your ED acceptance to NYU. You don’t get to see other offers of admission or aid first.

Decline the offer at NYU. No one is going to force you to go there if you can’t afford it. But you certainly can’t have it both ways. If you wanted to see your NYU AND UC offers…you should have applied to NYU regular decision.

NYU has a net price calculator. Surely you knew up front an estimate of NYU costs. I agree, you made a poor gamble if NYU was too costly.

You signed an ED agreement…and so did your school counselor. Read that again.

4 Likes

NYU’s NPC is really bad.

Now, there are 2 possibilities:

• NYU is affordable without extra loans (ie., 5.5K loan for you, your parents can afford to pay the rest of the bill from savings and income)
    => you committed to NYU
    OR
  • NYU’s financial aid would require your parents to take on loans => NYU is not affordable, you let them know and are released from the commitment

The UC’s decision doesn’t come into play at all.
Hopefully you applied to more colleges than the UCs and NYU, and already have a couple affordable admissions in hand - do you? If not, do you have a plan B? (If you live in CA, you are super lucky bc the CC-> UC system is excellent)

6 Likes

If you truly cannot afford NYU with the financial package that was offered to you, then ask to be released from your ED commitment. However, that should be the end of the story with NYU. You don’t get to keep them in your back pocket if things don’t work out with any of the UCs. If they are unaffordable now, they won’t suddenly become affordable regardless of what happens with your UC applications.

12 Likes

Yes - I know - but clearly this is not OP - what OP is saying is there is a cheaper price. that, if they are accepted to a UC, is available to them. They have not said that NYU is unaffordable. They have said it costs more than a UC does.

In that case, they should apply to U of Arizona or Alabama or W Carolina - I mean, you can always go cheaper.

Let’s not teach them to now change to that story and become dishonest.

5 Likes

If you decline your ED2 offer due to financial aid, your acceptance is gone. You can’t wait to see about the UCs and then come back to NYU and say “wait I want to come”. Your name will already have been crossed off the list.

That being said, it is unaffordable if your parents have to take out loans. It makes no difference that the UCs are cheaper. So are lots of schools. That doesn’t come into the equation.

If it were truly unaffordable and based on what OP wrote that is clearly not the case but if it were, it would be appropriate to discuss with the fin aid ASAP as they meet need (yes as they define it).

But stating x school costs less is not a reason to do this nor will they care.

That said NYU is publicly more flexible with cancelling ED than others.

It’s too bad when this happens - someone else was or will be likely WL and had a dream crushed.

I know - the student is just a teen - but the rationale is laughable. It’s not - NYC has changed or my love for it changed and I want suburban. And what happens if the UC is Merced or Riverside. Is this another - if I get into UCB/UCLA ?

It’s - I booked a non refundable rate at the Marriott but the Hilton just launched a promo and I can save 30%. How do I get out of it ??

2 Likes

They need to decline the ED offer at NYU even to apply to other colleges like Alabama etc

If NYU is a no, they need to decline NYU and move on.

4 Likes

Schools don’t release admitted students from ED easily unless it’s something major (death of parent(s), loss of job, significant/terminal illness, etc) happens. I even read that the school can inform other schools that the student reneged the commitment to other schools, making the student deem untrustworthy.

This is also a matter of ethics. Sign the ED agreement and you’re bound to that. School is bound to that too.

If you back out of ED for financial aid (or other) reasons after being admitted, then you should not expect to be able to matriculate to that college.

4 Likes

@epcy I believe NYU will release this kid from the ED admission.

But when that happens…NYU is off the table for this kid

6 Likes

Agree - NYU is off the table definitely.

This is the real question. I don’t know the real life answer and am interested to find out if anyone on here knows, but my gut says probably nothing would happen provided the GC is willing to participate. :woman_shrugging:t3:.

Likely lose the deposit. Typically on ED an earlier deposit is required.

I don’t know but I’m guessing these large bureaucracies have better things to do than torture someone. But it’s just a guess.