Rellis texas a&m

My daughter got PSA (which she decided not to pursue, since she really wanted to be in C Stat), and applied to Blinn CC in the hopes of transferring to TAMU as soon as she is eligible. Today, however, she has received a mailer inviting her to consider RELLIS in Bryan, which if I understand correctly, is like a gateway/bridge program into TAMU. However, it only mentions seamless transfer into Texas A&M system universities/regional campuses. Does anyone here know the difference/advantages of one over the other? Are they disqualified for transfer to the main TAMU campus? Anyone who can provide answers to this question please enlighten me

@kmcpty RELLIS is the campus that Blinn is utilizing for several degree programs. It is not a gateway/bridge
program like Blinn Team. In 2019 an additional academic building will open that will house several TAMU System Schools such as Corpus, etc where you can get a 4 year degree from that campus. It appears that if you accept PSA you may be able to start at the RELLIS campus if the university in which you are enrolling offers the course/major you want. More information can be found here including degree programs offered. http://www.blinn.edu/rellis/ or https://rellis.tamus.edu/academicalliance/
That may be a good option if your daughter wants to be in CS.

If your daughter does not accept the PSA option and intends to transfer, I highly recommend that you check out the PTA option as that will guarantee automatic acceptance to the major of your choice if you meet GPA minimums. Other than Engineering, most GPA minimums for PTA are 3.2. For PSA it is 3.0. If you do not pursue PTA or PSA and hope to transfer, it is a competitive review process all over again with the individual TAMU department making the admission decision.

In summary, if she can do the PSA program at RELLIS that would be a great deal. My son was offered PSA but decided to go to the Engineering Academy in Brenham instead.

Thanks for the reply, but I’m still a bit confused. What is PTA, and how do you go about following that path?

@kmcpty PTA is Program for Transfer Admission. Information on the various pathways to gain admission can be found on the TAMU admissions page. http://admissions.tamu.edu/PTA

Thank you. So many accronyms. I looked it up and understand now. Didn’t have this much angst or confusion with my oldest son. Lol

Not all majors participate in PTA. If your daughter decides the non-PTA transfer route I encourage you to attend the transfer seminar. I don’t know when the next one is. Also go and visit with an advisor for the major your daughter wants to pursue. Do it face to face. All you need is 24 hours and a 2.5 to be eligible but that is not the same as admitted. Once you are eligible the department you are applying to grants the admission decision. find out what GPA they are looking for and make sure you meet or exceed it. Mays Business only takes 100 transfers per year and turn away 4.0 students. Transfer is competitive, and your daughter will be placed behind the PSA or PTA auto admit students for open slots. We did all of this last year as a hedge.

After speaking to the Rellis Admissions Coordinators, we are more convinced that this is the best way to go for our daughter. She is very excited and looking forward to the fall session.

I applied to Blinn in Bryan, Texas. I was wondering if I could also do the PTA program at RELLIS ?? And if so do I need to reapply to the Blinn but choose the RELLIS campus instead?

@tyra2k8 it doesn’t matter which campus you take your classes. As long as you fulfill the PTA contract you will be admitted to TAMU. Bryan or RELLIS or any other JUCO in texas. No difference.

Ok thank you!!!

My son was accepted to Blinn TEAM and he recently received an email letting him know that he will be taking his classes at the RELLIS campus. Did anyone else’s Blinn TEAM student get this same email?