Rental car from airport

Looks like DS & I are going to fly down for move in day. I will need a rental car from the airport while at UA and then will need to drop if off for flight home. Will be there from 8/14-8/16.

Is one rental place better than another? Also, I will need to drop it off before business hours, any problem with that?

I did that last year moving my son in. I have National’s Emerald Club and booked a standard size car. When I got to the counter they said I could pick any car from the Emerald Aisle. There was a brand new Chevy SUV, which I was able to take. We went shopping at Walmart in Birmingham and loaded up the SUV before heading to Tuscaloosa, to get the supplies which the stores in Ttown were running out of. Don’t know about dropping off before the counter opens, but all rental companies have a drop box for after-hours drop off.

Tip: Bring your own portable GPS (unless you like looking at your phone to navigate = bad driver!!!) and plug that in. Some rental cars have GPS in them; some you have to pay extra for. Finding your way around and to/from campus is easy…but having the GPS can make it even easier for you. Good luck!

I like renting form National at BHM because of the customer service. Even though they don’t officially have an Emerald Aisle, Emerald Club members (join free online) who reserve a midsize or higher get to choose from a wide selection of vehicles for no extra charge. One also gets to skip the lines inside and go directly to the booth in the garage to choose their vehicle.

You’re renting over a weekend, so rates will be cheaper. I suggest booking refundable reservations in case prices go down. With a combination of coupons and discount codes, you should be able to get two weekend car rental days for less than $50-60 after taxes.

It looks like most companies open at 5:00am, but after hours drop off is available.

Thanks to all. I called National & they assured me I could do a drop off on departure day. What was I thinking taking a 6:40 am flight!

^^^
You might want to stay in B’ham near the airport the night before you depart. Driving to B’ham from Ttown to catch a 6:40 flight would require you to get up quite early to accommodate travel time and check-in.

Yes, I looked into changing hotels, but wanted to stay near campus for move in day, and didn’t want to do one day in Tuscaloosa & one nearer the airport. DS has a morning move in on the 15th, & he may want to stay w/ new roommates, or we might want to have dinner that night; he turns 18 on the 15th!

Either way, I am going to be up far earlier than I like. I would imagine traffic will be very light in the wee hours on a Sunday.

Just don’t forget to set a backup alarm, move-in is more exhausting than you think. Also, allow time for the rental drop off.