Repeating first yr of IB??

Hi everyone!

Im considering repeating my first year of IB because my predicted grades are not up to my expectations. My current grades are:

HL: Chemistry (6), Biology (6), Economics (5)
SL: French (5), English LangLit (5), Maths (6)

This would add up 33 points but if i want to apply to any top university i would definitely need a score above 40. This year was really rough for me because of many family problems. So I want to repeat this year at another international school in a different country. I would be able to get significantly better grades (at least a 40) if provided an extra year… My dream school is uchicago and I have to get in there. I was just wondering if repeating a year would hurt my chances in admissions.

I would not repeat the year. I would focus on doing better in the future and developing a set of academic and extra curricular interests that will help round out your application.

Is this even possible, by IB rules? Where are your points for EE and TOK? That is an extra 3.

Are you a US student or international? If you’re a US student, universities won’t require IB predicted scores for admissions and I wouldn’t worry about it at all.