Repercussions of Dropping a Class?

<p>What is the impact if an honors student has to drop a class and falls below 12 hours during a semester? </p>

<p>For example, an engineering student on the Presidential/Engineering scholarship is only taking 15 hours and finds himself in trouble with a 4 hour course and needs to drop it. He would drop down to 11 hours and no longer have full time status. What are the possible repercussions if this happens (i.e., insurance, student leader positions, honors college, scholarships, etc.).</p>

<p>I’ll let someone else weigh in about falling below 12 credit hours…but why not pick up a 1-credit Honors elective (esp. Spring II session) so you avoid this? Or, find an ‘easy’ 3-hr class/elective in something interesting that starts on a Thursday (i.e., tomorrow/1st day classes)? Students actually have a few more days to add a class for Spring, so they will not miss much if they make a decision quickly.</p>

<p>^That has been our advice, but so far we haven’t been able to convince him. We told him we would try to get more info. To us, it is insurance for getting a bad professor, class more difficult, etc. I called the Scholarship Office today, but it was late in the day and left a message.</p>

<p>From what I’ve been told, UA scholarships will remain the same should a student drop below full time status. Officially only full time students are eligible for on-campus housing, but I don’t recall Housing cancelling housing assignments as a result.</p>

<p>The one issue which often arises is with federal student aid eg Work Study or student loans, which may need to be prorated.</p>

<p>Thanks, SEA_tide! Good info to know!</p>

<p>This could be one of those non-negotiable contract things that parents talk about with their kids before attending college. (The Tiger Mama in me gets killed whenever my own S won’t enroll up to the maximum allowable since it is paid for by scholarships.) Kids just don’t think the way adults do…</p>

<p>^^ I totally agree, oldest S had another university doesn’t have to pay for any classes over 12 hours and it kills me when he doesn’t take advantage of this. What a great opportunity to take a class because you are interested in it or it sounds like fun, especially if you can take it pass/fail so it won’t hurt your gpa. Kids don’t think the way adults do…</p>