Report from NSC

We attended NSC June 1st & 2nd. Both boys are in Engineering and will be in the Corps and Band. We stayed at the White Creek Apts. While I enjoyed having 4 bedrooms/bathrooms, that is about all I enjoyed there. We did not get a parking pass, instead we paid to park at the garage and spent less than $30 on parking.

We went down for Day 0 and I am glad we did. There were no lines to speak of, and the boys were able to turn in their transcripts at registration, the students need to have their UIN on the front of the envelopes. One had all the registration information completed before we got there, the other had to do his banking information (which took forever) as well as take the picture for his ID, etc. I like the picture taken there better than the one sent in. They were also able to pick up their Sports Pass after receiving their IDs. We attended the open house at the Alumni Center, which was nice. Kids were able to talk to Corps units as well as various other students. Cookies, fruit and veggies were served.

We attended all meetings except 2. Scheduled events ran in a very timely manner, most presentations were informative.

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer.

Did they have trouble getting the classes they wanted? What time did you get there for the pre-day? We will be arriving about 3 or 4 pm and I’m wondering if we can still get some of those things done that day.

We arrived around 3:30 and were able to get everything done. One son had no problems with his schedule, took him 17 seconds to complete registration. But, he wanted 8 am classes. Other son who will be in band had a more difficult time. He wasn’t able to get his first schedule, it took him about 40 minutes and he had to take a math class where he did not have info on the prof. Have them use Aggie scheduler in addition to all the other websites for the classes and profs.

My family is also staying at White Creek in a few weeks for NSC. I have a room reserved at Courtyard that I was holding onto “just in case”. Was White Creek awful?

We also stayed at White Creek for my son’s NSC 5/31-June 1. It was quiet and plenty of room; I purchased the $30 parking permit and was able to park in front of room and then drive in to the conference every day which was very convenient. It was not a hotel, which means no tv or service, but I knew that going in. It is an apartment so the appliances are all there but no dishes, utensils, etc. We stopped by HEB and bought some paper/plastic products and had breakfast in the room each morning. It was nice to have the refrigerator for drinks. The sheets and towels provided were pretty awful but they recommended up front to bring your own so we had done that. To be honest, the conference was very busy so we were not in that room much, so for us it was fine.

We stayed in the Commons for my NSC… But that was May 1987 so… :slight_smile:

White Creek wasn’t awful, just not what I expected. It has a kitchen, with a bar and 3 bar stools, as well as a living room with a couch and one chair. Each room consists of a bed with a chair and desk. The mattress and pillow are not at all comfortable. You are provide a fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket, pillow case, 2 towels, washcloths and hand towels as well as a bar of soap and a paper bag which serves as a trash can.

If you go, I would recommend bringing your own pillow and a mattress pad for a double bed. The walls seems very thin, we were able to hear the trains as well as people talking in the courtyard. The student wifi worked great (your login and password) sometimes we were kicked off the guest wifi. The location was good and it will definitely give you an insight if you ever consider living there.

@JenniferAggie91 LOL!!! My DH and I are both Aggies and the whole conference DH kept doubting the schedule if it differed from how things were 25 years ago. Seriously, he questioned the Corps Commander on whether or not Duncan would be open on Sat. because it always was when he was there. Too funny!

Ha! My husband and I are class of 1988 and 1991. Every time we are on campus my kids immediately say "No, we don’t want to go see your old dorms/classes/etc. :slight_smile: We have twins that will be Seniors in HS this year. One wants to go to A&M and be in the corp. The other is going to Arkansas but we love her anyway - ha! We did the SNWC in May with my son and loved it :slight_smile: Maybe he will be there next year! Congrats on your new grad and best of luck to him at A&M. GIg’Em!

Mine attending A&M next year are twins. The boys did SNWC twice and really enjoyed it as well as attending Aggieland Saturday. One will be in B batt and the other in D-2. So they will be close, but not too close. They were ready for a little break from each other, it will be interesting to see how they interact next year. I imagine it is the same for your twins. But, Arkansas! At least it is not the ‘other school’.