Reporting a D Grade

<p>During 1st semester I received a D in an Honors Physics course, according to UC provisions of admission, I must report this D to the schools that I applied to. I have a few questions regarding this report. </p>

<p>1) In the letter/e-mail would it be beneficial to include the other courses+their grades (A’s and B’s)? My intention is to show that the D was a one-off thing in one of the tougher courses offered at my school. </p>

<p>2)I know that I cannot make any excuses for my grade, but is there anything else I should include in my letter besides the explanation of why I got the grade, etc…?</p>

<p>3)Would submitting my statement of intent to Register have any bearings on their decision?</p>

<p>4)With this being my only D ever in High School, with a 3.5+ UW GPA throughout HS, what are my chances of being rescinded on a scale of low to high?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help everyone!</p>

<p>1) It wouldn’t hurt to include other grades but they are not going to distract the admissions office from the D.</p>

<p>2) Offer an explanation for the D. If you got sick or if there were extenuating circumstances, attach documentation to provide support for your claim.</p>

<p>3) Depending on the reason, some UCs may opt to cancel your acceptance. You can wait for the decisions to come out before reporting the D, but that’s not going to affect the UCs in their revocation decisions (if they do decide to revoke you).</p>

<p>4) Most UCs will revoke acceptance for D/F grades unless there are extenuating circumstances. UCR will accept a D/F in senior year for certain majors, but that’s the only consistent exception I know.</p>

<p>From a school counselor’s point of view, you should make up the semester grade in CP Physics in summer school or adult school for the appropriate semester. However, if you took AP Physics earning a C or higher, the higher course makes up for the deficiency in the Honors section.</p>

<p>Definitely write an explanation for the D either way. If you are a senior, check with the specific UC’s Office of Admissions if you may make up the course in adult school or summer school and send that grade to them.</p>

<p>I’m not sure that I understand, you said that this grade was within the first semester. That grade would be on your transcript. However since you said it was honors physics I assume you meant 7th semester. I recommend that you report it in an e-mail including the other grades you received that semester.</p>

<p>What ever you do, make sure that you inform them. Don’t blow it off because when they get the final transcript and see that you didn’t report it, repercussions could be huge.</p>