Reporting AMC/AIME Scores

Hello,

I’m applying to MIT as a math major, and I’ve qualified for the AIME 4 times. However, my scores have decreased over time: 6, 5, 3, then 2. I’m planning to report all of the AMC 10/12s I took, but I was wondering which of these AIME scores I should report to MIT, especially since I’m applying as a math major.

I was incredibly sick when I took the most recent AIME (where I received a 2), so is there a way I could mention that on my application? Or should I mention all of these AIME scores except the 2? In that case, I’d mention that I took the AIME and not provide a score, but I don’t know if MIT would find it suspicious that I didn’t mention the score, and they might be disappointed/upset if they check with MAA and realize my recent score was actually a 2 when I didn’t report.

Thanks!

Tagging @hebegebe to get his input. This is his area of expertise.

1 Like

It’s been a few years since my son applied, so I don’t know what the current MIT application form looks like. If possible, I would simply write down 4xAIME qualifier and put down your best AIME score.

2 Likes

They now have space to report as many AMC/AIME scores as you like (was limited to two each four years ago) as well as USA(J)MO scores (this is new).

Hello, just checking with @hebegebe if you have any advice? If not, no worries!

Now that Vulcan has explained the current application inputs, I recommend you put down all four AMC scores, and then report the 6 and 5.

1 Like

Thank you, I will do that! Will MIT find it suspicious if I don’t report my two most recent ones (3 & 2)?

They will assume you have presented your best scores. They won’t worry about the rest.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.