Republicans sweep control

<p>I hope Biddy has some nuts tucked away--it's going to be a tough 2 years. At least they have tuition money growing through the next few years already in place. Also the endowments made a nice recovery. Hopefully there will not be the politically motivated sniping at the UW that dominated the last Republican admin in the early 2000's. That was nasty and hurt morale more than a lack of pay increases. The UW has ramped up business contacts and is now showing real success in growing new companies out of UW research and alums. BM is very good at being nice to all parties so maybe it won't be the worst case scenario. It would be great if UW could wrangle more self-control in exchange for a small budget cut without the usual protests/whining.</p>

<p>Republicans who even consider cutting educational funding just disgust me. I voted (first time voter!) for a fair number of Republicans, since I agree with them on some issues, but extending cuts to education is just going too far.</p>

<p>In Madison and the headline in the Badger Herald was “No additional money for UW System”. The good news was the gov-elect said very nice things about the importance of UW to economic development, etc.
I think a no increase no cut budget at this point would be great news. There is talk about trimming fringes through more employee co-pays etc. Pretty standard today. I have yet to see any hateful speech against UW which is an improvement over some past admins. I see a glimmer of hope this shall pass. Tuition will continue to catch-up to the rest of the B10. But they are adding lots of amazing programs for undergrads in exchange. </p>

<p>The average ACT for Fall 2010 freshmen was 28.5.</p>

<p>I turned 18 a week before the election & decided to vote for Feingold + Barret. However, almost every candidate i voted for lost- Very disappointing. Anyway, the reason I did not vote for Johnson/Walker is because i don’t like how they cut funding for schools/universities, and increase spending on the military AND I strongly disagree with essentially all of the conservative views on social issues. I don’t like how my #1 choice ““public”” university will cost me $46,000 a year or $250,000 total for the six year program. Who can afford that? The concept of unequal opportunities for “out of state” citizens should not exist in America. While neither party is perfect, Democrats seem more likely to help increase financial aid/decrease tuition. Ultimately, I’ve done my part (working hard in school, ect), however, I don’t think the government has done its part.</p>

<p>I disagree, I think it is a good thing to make out of state residents pay more money to come to a school outside of their home state, or states that dont have reciprocity with your home state. The main goal of a public state university is to provide quality education to their own state so it can strive. If you want to be one of the 25% of people who come to Madison from out of state, it is logical for the university to charge you more so it can give more of a break to its in state students financially. Its not exactly fair for out of state students, but its the right way to go about things when Wisconsin (or any other state) wants to do whats best to make its own citizens and economy strive.</p>

<p>Instate students and/or their parents are paying part of the instate college costs through their taxes- even only a bit. OOS students and/or parents are not paying any money to the UW system (any federal money is going to other states as well as UW) unless they have a student in the UW system. Become a state resident and pay our high state taxes if you want to enjoy the reduced cost of instate tuition.</p>