Res Halls Full?

<p>People are telling me that the res halls at Madison are full for this coming fall and I can't get a straight answer out of the housing office. They just keep telling me to send them my deposit. If I do will I get assigned to overflow housing? </p>

<p>Does anyone know how this works or what my alternatives are?</p>

<p>One alt is the private dorms which are just fine. Some even prefer them and you are sure of what you get..</p>

<p>hmmm thats interesting. if i have made my housing deposit but not my housing choices, i still have a confirmed spot in any one of the halls, subject to availibility?</p>

<p>barrons, thanks for the suggestion. That may be the direction I end up going. I don't like the idea of paying all of this money and then getting stuck in a lounge for 3 months.</p>

<p>There definitely is a Catch 22 in going with the public dorms. Once you send in your deposit to attend UW on May 1 the housing contract is binding but you don't know your dorm assignment until late May or later. If you get one you don't like you are stuck with it. That seems a little unfair to me. You should have a chance to reject the assignment once you know what it is. Nobody should be forced to buy something they don't want.</p>

<p>Hahaha Barrons. In a perfect world. Housing would never go for it, they know 2/3 of their rooms are less than desirable. </p>

<p>If you want any sense of control in housing during your first-year, you've gotta go private dorms. Some people care much less and are willing to take the gamble. I was and had a great experience in a terrible dorm. Although I woke up 3/4 weekends a month to find vomit all over the bathroom, the experiences I had were wonderful. I'm not sure I'd go the same route, looking back, however.</p>